Community Forum

Packet Loss and poor routes for the past month

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Official Employee

Re: Packet Loss and poor routes for the past month

NaaGdl, just saw your private message. I'll follow up there. 

Frequent Visitor

Hello? There is still packet loss. Lately it seems to be every night starting around 9-10pm and continuing into the morning. It usually is resolved around noon to 2pm, possibly because of "maintenance at the node" which seems to be the case everyday. Thank you for not allowing me to use my internet for a month, and then charging me $60.

lag1.png

Frequent Visitor

As an update, I still have this issue. Ken has been in contact with me but no solution has been found.

I have tried using different modems, but it seems everytime the connection is at its worst of over 20-30% packet loss, where you can't even connect to Gmail without it telling you that you disconnected, "maintenance" is performed on a node which may or may not be announced on the service status page, and then the internet connection becomes great. At least for a while, where there is <1% packet loss but this usually lasts for either a few hours to a day before the connection starts dropping packets. It starts around 5% and gradually increases. Currently, it's at 12% packet loss in the past 5 minutes.

It is extremely displeasing to see a bill come for Internet during the past month when I have only been able to use it without problems probably a handful of days in the past month.

I have noticed that others were reporting this issue both before and after me.

Official Employee

NaaGdl,

Sorry for the delay. I work Tuesday- Saturday 9-5EST so by the time I got your response, I was out for the weekend. I'm back and will respond shortly. 

KenF

Frequent Visitor

I have sent a private message but have not received any reply or follow-up yet. Even the process of posting this reply takes a few attempts as the browser returns an error and says the connection was reset while attempting to submit.

mtr6.png

Expert

Did you send @ComcastKenF a private message like he asked?

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Frequent Visitor

There is still a high level of packet loss. I will be forced to cancel my service soon as there appears to be no end in sight.

mtr4.png

Frequent Visitor

There is still large amounts of packet loss.

mtr2.png

Official Employee

NaaGdl, 
Please send me a private message with your full name and account related phone number so I can look into your connection issues. 

KenF

Expert

I've asked an employee to check the CMTS for real-time and historical RF signal reports from your modem. They can also check your local node/plant for any degradation or error reports. You can expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks but the issue has been present still. Asking support only results in advice to restart my modem/router/browser/PC etc. I have been using Comcast internet for a decade but will have to cancel if there is no help since I have been without internet for practically half a month.

Also, here is WinMTR of the current conditions.

mtr1.png

Diamond Problem Solver

The stats as read at the modem level at that moment in time were o/k but there are three additional signal stats that can cause this which can't be read by the modem. They can only be read from their end by them polling the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) at the local headend facility.

They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

You can call in and ask what these figures are. The Upstream Receive Power Level should fall within the range of -2dB to +2dB with 0dB being in the middle and perfect.

The Upstream SNR should be least 31dB, and the higher it is the better.

The ICFR should be no higher than 2 dB.

You could have an intermittent noise ingress issue in only the upstream channel(s) / return path only somewhere.

They will be able to see whether or not everything is in the green zone and also see a history plot for the modem.

Frequent Visitor

Packet Loss and poor routes for the past month

For the past month, my connection has been shifting between stable and unstable with extreme packet loss at times. There has been no set schedule for when this occurs but it lasts for hours at a time. Restarting the modem and obtaining a different IP address has produced no changes.

Asking support has only led to being told to restart the modem multiple times.

Below is the result of performing mtr on Telia IP with the current issues

pl.png

There has been other times where the connection was unstable and the route was instead going through an IP in Colorado or Atlanta. The packet loss still occurred, but the ping also increased as expected.

Also, here is the cable modem's status

modem.png