Community Forum

Own instead of rent cable modem...replacing arrisTM502

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Own instead of rent cable modem...replacing arrisTM502

I would like to stop renting the comcast equipment and buy a cable modem.  The arris tm502 combines internet and voip. 

What are some modems that can do both internet and voip?  Motorola is one brand I would consider.

Secondly, how do I work with comcast to make this possible?

Thanks

Expert

Re: Own instead of rent cable modem...replacing arrisTM502

In most areas, and if you can even purchase one, CC will not yet provision a customer owned eMTA device. You must rent an eMTA from them. I heard that this policy may be/is changing... 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Own instead of rent cable modem..Replacing arrisTM502

I'm not sure I understand this.  I only used the rental Cable Adaptor (Modem) for a few months until the LinkSys BEFCMU10 arrived on the scene (about 10 years ago now, I think).  I went to the local Comcast Office, told the nice lady what I was planning to buy, she said bring in the rental box and plug the LinkSys in.  I did and within less than a minute, my Internet service was restarted.  Now I am looking at DOCSIS-3.0 boxes, and again contact with the local CC folks indicated that I just unplug the LinkSys box and plug in the new DOCSIS-3.0 box.  I have subscribed to Comcast Cable TV and Internet since it because available in my neighborhood, some 10 or 11 years ago.  The only complaint I have is that all of the Bloated HTML on the various web sites (like Fox, for example) take forever to load on my system (a 64-bit Athlon 4800+ with 4GB of RAM).  So, what is the problem with changing your cable modem box???  I have always strived to work with the Comcast Folks, and have been very satisfied over the years. 
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Own instead of rent cable modem..Replacing arrisTM502

You can own and use your own cable modem, as you say.  Many of us do.  But a regular cable modem like you talk about is not the same as an EMTA which handles both cable modem and digital phone service.  Comcast does not currently allow a customer to use their own EMTA.  There are rumblings in some areas that this is changing, so you may be able in the future go buy your own Arris TM722A EMTA (or whatever, assuming you can find one) and have Comcast provision it.  But currently you can't in most areas.