Community Forum

Open DNS

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Open DNS

I’m trying to set up OpenDNS on my network to closely monitor all the devices in my home, but when trying to set it up through the admin page, I’m unable to. Is there a way to do this? I can’t seem to find any articles on this anywhere
Expert

Re: Open DNS

Hi @mimijae

If you are using a Comcast-supplied device, you may not be able to change the DNS settings. Smiley Sad Consider purchasing your own equipment if you need that level of access. 

I am a volunteer Expert/Moderator, not an employee.

Frequent Visitor

I purchased an arris surfboard modem. I read somewhere that I can connect both the surfboard and the Comcast Arris TG1682G, and set up the OpenDNS on the surfboard admin page and still use the xfinity admins page features. But I can’t find the forum on that again :/
Expert

@mimijae wrote:
I purchased an arris surfboard modem. I read somewhere that I can connect both the surfboard and the Comcast Arris TG1682G, and set up the OpenDNS on the surfboard admin page and still use the xfinity admins page features. But I can’t find the forum on that again :/

You need a router, not a modem. Once you get a router, connect it to your Comcast gateway and set the gateway to Bridge Mode. Instructions here

Or even better, since you already bought a modem, return your Comcast gateway, buy a router, and activate the new modem and set it up with the new router. You can save yourself the monthly $11 rental fee by returning the leased gateway. 

Comcast Experts are other customers who volunteer their time helping on the forum and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
Unless so specifically stated, my opinions written herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast, its official employees or affiliates.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a regular customer volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Would I be able to set up the surfboard as the modem, the Comcast modem/router as the router and my netgear as a range expander? We have a terrible connection throughout the whole house.
Expert

@mimijae wrote:
Would I be able to set up the surfboard as the modem, the Comcast modem/router as the router and my netgear as a range expander? We have a terrible connection throughout the whole house.

No, the Comcast gateway doesn't have a WAN Ethernet port for you to connect an external modem to. You only have room for one cable company interface in the system here - either use the Surfboard modem, or the Comcast gateway, but you can't use both. Since your original purpose here was to install OpenDNS, you still need a router to get that done. I don't know what model Netgear you have, but that might work just for that purpose. 

As far as improving your wifi coverage, there's a great instructional here that you can refer to for ideas. 

Comcast Experts are other customers who volunteer their time helping on the forum and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
Unless so specifically stated, my opinions written herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast, its official employees or affiliates.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a regular customer volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Well boo lol. Thank you for your responses and the helpful information. I’ll go give it a shot now Smiley Happy
Frequent Visitor

I’m so sorry, just to clarify, so I cannot connect the surfboard to the internet cable for my modem, and connect the Ethernet from the surfboard to the Comcast Arris as the router?
Frequent Visitor

I’m not very tech savvy lol but can follow instructions well and know some key words lol... new to all this haha
Diamond Problem Solver

@mimijae wrote:
I’m so sorry, just to clarify, so I cannot connect the surfboard to the internet cable for my modem, and connect the Ethernet from the surfboard to the Comcast Arris as the router?

AFAIK the router component / portion of the Comcast combo gateway devices can not be separated out from the modem portion and used independently.