Community Forum

Only receiving email selectively

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Only receiving email selectively

This problem started on or just after Wednesday, May 2.  Or at least tha't s as close as I can pin down the time frame.

The problem is the same for all the ways I access my email, Xfinity web portal, IOS mobile mail app, MacOS desktop mail client software.

I know for sure that I'm not receiving some messages, when those messages addressed to me show up in a Reply-All from another recipient.  Of course, I have no way to know how many non-distribution messages I have not received.  (The problem of the dog not barking in the night.)

I can't yet discern a pattern.  It seems roughly correlated to the identity of the sender, but that's not conclusive.  It could be some other mechanism of selection.  There is one sender from whom I've received a numbr of messages.

This sort of problem is a nightmare to diagnose. I need to get it fixed, because not receiving, and not responding to messages is clearly a problem.

New Poster

Re: Only receiving email selectively

Here's one possible reason for the problem I've described.

In the Settings --> Advanced Settings menu, the "Use email safe list" option was selected.  I didn't find much in the way of documentation, other than when enabled this feature acts as an explicit "whitelist" for email senders, silently discarding all other messages.  Now, I don't remember ever enabling that feature, and only two of my three Comcast addresses had the feature turned on.  Could it have been turned on as a result of a system upgrade or by a Comcast Customer Service representative?  I have no idea what the content of the "safe list" would have been.  Maybe those senders on my "contacts list"?  It's not clear.

Anyway, I disabled the feature and I'm going to give it a while to see if I start receiving the "normal" flow of incoming email once again.

New Poster

Re: Only receiving email selectively

That did seem to be the answer -- or at least the fix.  How my email because configured that way is still a mystery.