Community Forum

Old and New Honeywell Thermostat began not working with Comcast Residential Internet Nov. 2017

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Old and New Honeywell Thermostat began not working with Comcast Residential Internet Nov. 2017

Old 5 year old Honeywell WiFi thermostat suddenly stopped reaching cloud services in Nov. 2017, and I replaced it with a new Honeywell thermostat, and now it too can’t reach cloud services.  Troubleshot by using my Verizon Wireless WiFi tethering to my cell phone and got new thermostat to reach cloud services.  Comcast, you started blocking the Honeywell cloud connectivity around Nov. 2017.  Please correct!

Frequent Visitor

Re: Old and New Honeywell Thermostat began not working with Comcast Residential Internet Nov. 2017

Comcast, you must have started blocking ports in November 2017 that stopped my Honeywell thermostat from working, because I am following Honeywell’s wireless configuration below, and the thermostat works great over Verizon wireless cell phone tethering.  Using wifi router settings below:

Frequent Visitor

Re: Old and New Honeywell Thermostat began not working with Comcast Residential Internet Nov. 2017

Posting back in case it helps others:

Called Comcast.  They said my new Motorola MB8600 cable modem is blocking the ports.  They couldn’t/wouldn’t assist because I own the new modem.  They said just log in to the modem and disable the port blocking.  So I attach a PC directly to the modem and log in.  There are no port, or any other for that matter, settings to change, so I go ahead anyway and change the default login and password to something only I know.  Then I try to open another browser window to the internet, and I see an Xfinity login asking to setup my connection either by account number or Xfinity account login.  So I go through that process.  When that is completed, I disconnect the PC direct-attached to Motorola MB8600 and connect up wifi router to Moto MB8600.  No Internet.  So then I power-cycle Moto MB8600 to get it to work, and then my Honeywell Thermostat then works.  Not sure which part was the answer.