Community Forum

Not getting nearly 1gb on new 1gb modem

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Contributor

Re: Not getting nearly 1gb on new 1gb modem

Ironlung:  How is it going now?  Have you had any success with comcast or settings?    We upgraded a week ago to the XB6 and are having pitiful results.   

We directly connected a windows-based laptop and that is getting ok speed but our wifi connections are awful.    Four long calls with comcast, two different modems, two tech visits and we are getting a *shrug* response from them.  

Expert

Try calling Comcast and obtain the following values:

The Upstream SNR (uSNR): Should be at least 31dB
Upstream Receive Power: Should be between -2dBmV and +2dBmV
In Channel Frequency Response (ICFR): Shouldn't be any higher than +2dBmV

They should also be able to see the history of your gateway and see if everything has been in the green or it hasn't been at some points.
I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Screenshot_20180724-205324_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20180724-205329_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20180724-205234_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20180724-205245_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20180724-205257_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20180724-205310_Chrome.jpg
Expert

Ok. Go to http://10.0.0.1

Username: admin

password: password (if you havent chnaged it from the default)

When you log in, if for the first time, you will be prompted to change your password. After that, click connection and then click Xfinity Network. Scoll down to where it says Downstream and Upstream, make sure you get all the Downstream from the table, it is a scrollable table. Also, post the upstream signals as well.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

My wired speed test is a bit faster, around 150mbps
Expert

Ok. So what are the directly wired in speed test results?

New Poster

XB6-T modem
Expert

Have you tried any wired speedtests directly connected to the XB6?

New Poster

Yeah they gave me the small get xb6 modem, and what weird is after I reset it, I get speed around 900, but with 10 minutes or so my speeds drop back down
Expert

Since you are getting the proper upload, it shows proper provisioning. Have you tried any wired speed tests? What modem/gateway do you have?

New Poster

Nothing in my event log and not sure where to view signals, but I just had it installed and the tech said everything was within range. Now after running my own speed tests I am around 70-80 mbps or so
Screenshot_20180724-203041_Chrome.jpg
Contributor

Well depending on a few factors. 1 is call Comcast and have them Provision your modem/router to get the speeds. 2 is to get another modem/router. Comcast came out and gave me a Black thin box and come to find out, it was the wrong box. Had to go to the Xfinity store and swap it for the new Grey XB6 router and after activating it, I get up to 900mbps down and 42mbps up.
Expert

How do your signals and event log look. You should be able to access them at either http://192.168.100.1 or http://10.0.0.1

New Poster

Not getting nearly 1gb on new 1gb modem

Why is it that when I switched from my 250mb speed plan to 1gb speed with 3.1 modem, I am now at around 70-80mbps?? Not even close to what I was at with my old 250mbps speed. Shouldn't I be around 800-900 at least???