Community Forum

Not getting full gigabit speed

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Not getting full gigabit speed

Location is Miami, Florida.

I upgraded to the gigabit plan and finally had a Comcast technician succssfully install the XB6 wireless router/modem. Though the internet speed has improved from my prior plan (up to 200 Mbps down / 45 Mbps up on average from my original 100 Mbps down / 25 Mbps up), it definitely is nowhere need the improvement I expected. Speed is at about the 200 Mbps mark down / 45 Mbps up whether I connect directly to the XB6 or through my Orbi wireless router.

I believe I have a CAT5 cable between the XB6 and the Orbi and have just placed an order for a CAT6 cable as a replacement/upgrade.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regular Visitor

Re: Not getting full gigabit speed

So an update to this issue/question:

I changed the cable between the XB6 and the Orbi to be a CAT6 cable, and the performance has improved somewhat. Now the average speed i about 250 Mbps down / 50 Mbps up. So again, I am looking for any insight as to what I can do to have this gigabit plan/service actually get much closer to posted speeds (knowing full well that it won't reach full advertised speed). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Expert

Start here: troubleshooting guide. If you still need help, please post your equipment details (make/model of your modem/gateway/router) and a screenshot of your signal levels and your error/event log. Thank you!

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

How are you getting thoes speeds.  xfinity speed test page, speedttest.net, or the ookla speed test app.  

On my mac a almost never get over 500 Mbps wired through speedtest.net or xfinity speed test browser but if i run the test through the ookla speedtest application then my speedtests run between constantly between 900 and 930 Mbps