Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Norton Internet Security does not run scans

Frequent Visitor

Norton Internet Security does not run scans

I have Constant Guard and Norton Internet Security installed on my PC running windows 8.1. I am running into problems were Norton does not run full system scan. Scan checks for updates and then goes to clean temp files. I did uninstall and reinstall Constant Guard and Norton as I had this problem earlier. Is there a fix for this anyone is aware of?

Norton Expert

Re: Norton Internet Security does not run scans

Hello ,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Please open your Norton Security Suite, go to Support > About & let me know the version shown there. In meantime, please try to run a scan with Norton Power Eraser tool: http://www.norton.com/npe and let me know the results.

Thanks!

Harry

Norton Support

Frequent Visitor

Hello Harry,

The version shown is 21.1.0.18, I will try running Norton Power Scan and give the results. 

Thank You 

Security Expert

Hi Carpedem,

There is a more current version of Norton Security site available, see the following post:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/Upgrade-to-Norton-Security-Suite-version-21-2-0...

Please run LiveUpdate (rebooting when requested) until LiveUpdate responds with "no updates found", then verify you are on version 21.2.0.38.

Curious if the scan situation is happening because you are trying to run back to back scans (in other words, one after another (either Quick or Full Scanhas just completed)?  Perhaps some info on the situation this occurs will be helpful.

Let us know how things go.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

I ran Norton Power Scan, uninstalled a program and everything was fine after that until today Norton is not running a full system scan again.

Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I am on version 21.2.0.38, I tried running the full system scan today and it was bypassed, I only run full system scan, I haven't run back to back scans (either Quick or Full Scans).  Not sure what else to do at this point.   Thank You for your help and posting the link to the current version.   Have a great day. 

Security Expert

Hi Carpedem,

Just curious if you remember which program Norton Power Eraser removed?

Please open NSS, Select Support > Get Support.  Let it run and see if it fixes anything or reports an error - then try the Full System Scan again and let us know how things go.

Also, did you or do you currently have any other security programs installed (other than CGPS) such as another Antivirus, perhaps MalwareBytesAntiMalware, SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot S & D or something similar to those products? 

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Hello,

The program removed was sample test questions for A+ certification.  I ran Get Support no errors found. Tried to run Full System Scan and scan was bypassed. The only other thing I have is CCleaner.

Thank You

Norton Expert

Do you use an administrator account in windows or is it a standard user? Can you post a screenshot of fullsystem scan results where it is showing as bypassed?

In meantime, please restart the computer in Safe Mode, double-click on Norton icon to initiate a full system scan in Safe Mode and check if it completes successfully.

Thanks!

Harry

Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I am using an administrator account in windows. Was able to initate a full system scan in safe mode and it completed successfully.   Tried to post screenshot of system apparently screenshot is to large to send in forum. 

Security Expert

Even though the following link is from the Norton Fourm, it is also powered by Lithium as this forum is and the information will get your image to post.

Not sure this will help, but here is some info in regards to posting a screenshot.  The info is on the Norton Forums, but Comcast's forum uses Lithium also, so the same procdure will work.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Forum-Tip-How-to-post-screenshots-in-the-forum/td-p/25...

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Norton.jpgNorton.jpg

Norton Expert

Are you using Herdprotect antimalware as well? I just noticed it's installation file on the screenshot. If you use any other scanner, please remove it completely & try to run the scan again. In mean time, please right-click on Norton icon in system tray and click "Run QuickScan". See if the quick scan completes successfully.

You may also try to create a Norton Bootable Recovery tool in a CD/DVD using any other computer:

http://www.norton.com/nbrt

Then use the CD/DVD to boot your computer & then run a scanin the boot environment.

Thanks!

Harry

Norton Support

Security Expert

Hi Carpedem,

Let me back up a second - you stated you are running Norton Internet Security.  Are you running Norton Internet Security Online (the free offering from Comcast for Business Class customers), Norton Security Suite (the free offering from Comcast for residential customers) or the retail version of Norton Internet Security (not offered for free by Comcast)?

The reason I ask is because there are two different versions of the Norton Bootable Recovery Tool shown in the link NortonSupport provided.

Your PIN number (if Comcast free product) is stored in Norton Security_PIN.txt in the following location:

In Windows 7 or Windows Vista: C:\Users\Users Name\My Documents\Symantec\Norton Security_PIN.txt

In Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\\My Documents\Symantec\Norton Security_PIN.txtHi

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I am running Norton Security Suite (the free offering from Comcast for residential customers).  Hope this info helps. 

Thank You.

Frequent Visitor

Hello Harry, 

I am not familiar with Herdprotect. I checked to see if any other antimalware was installed I didnt see that in the list. I am able to run quickscan. 

Thank you for your help. 

Security Expert

I'm not sure but perhaps Harry was talking about the HotSpot Shield (the HSS-2.87 ins) folder on your desktop.  Please check in the Control Panel (Programs & Features) to see if that program is installed.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Hello, 

I checked in the control panel and HotSpot Shield is not installed. Was able to run full system scan until today. Full System Scan is being bypassed. Not sure why this is happening or if there are any fixes for this or do I just need to switch to a different program. 

Thank you

Security Expert

Hi Carpedem,

I have asked NortonSupport to comment on this thred as I may have sent you in the wrong direction thathe was thinking of.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Norton Expert

Hello ,

Sorry! I'm just trying to find the root cause for your problem so that we can sort it out together. One of the main reason for this problem is due to conflicting programs. Is it possible for you to share a screenshot of items listed under "Uninstall A Program" in Control Panel? If you cannot share it publically, you can just go to our profile page & send us a private message.

Also, click on Tasks > Check Security History in Norton Security Suite. It should have logged your full system scan details. Check if it shows any error with full system scan. There may be an option to find more details on the scan. Also, run a checkdisk on windows to see if it detects any disk related problems.

Cheers!

Harry

Norton Support

Frequent Visitor

ControlPanel.jpg

Norton Expert

Did you check the security history & ran check disk? Also, disable antilogger from Comcast Protection Suite(just for time being) and then run a full system scan again.

Cheers!

Harry

Norton Support

Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I had to remove Comcast Protection Suite wasnt sure about how to disable antilogger, I was able to run full system scan until today. I checked the security history didnt find anything unusual, which for some reason I am unable to do now and I did run check disk and no errors were found. 

Thank You

Frequent Visitor

I just got a new laptop and from what I've been reading, Norton doesnt fully support windows 8.1 yet.

On their site, they are saying that they'll have a fully compatible version of Norton Security next week some time.

Note that many people on the internet say that Norton is a system hog (I've noticed this on my Vista machine) and that there are much better antivirus solutions out there.

Maybe Comcast ought to be looking at better more efficient solutions.

I'm a Software Engineer and some people I know in this part of the industry tell me that Norton bases its tools on an old antivirus engine that hasnt been upgraded in a long time. It is overdue for a rewrite and because it supports so many things, it is a system hog.

Again, maybe Comcast should consider looking at other options????

Thx

-D

Frequent Visitor

Oops that is old knowledge. Windows 8.1 does work with Norton now.

Norton Expert

Hello ,

Glad to know that you were able to run Full System Scan after uninstalling Constant Guard Protection. It seems that one of the components of Constant Guard was the culprit that created a conflict with the Norton scan. Please monitor the full system scan & let us know the results.

:

The latest Norton products are entirely build on a new faster & lighter scan engine that you can get today, means security that won’t slow you down. More specifically it means faster, fewer and shorter scans, high-speed network throughput, one-minute install, fewer active processes, less memory utilization – in general faster operations so you won’t feel a performance impact on your day-to-day computing experience. If you face any problem with using the latest version of Norton, please post it here. We can together check it further & sort it.

Thanks!

Harry

Norton Support

New Poster

Not to toss a monkey wrench into things but I am running Windows 8.1 with the free Norton Suite from Comcast.  I am NOT using the Constant Guard.  The Norton version is 21.3.0.12.  I am having the same issues with the scans not working but I've also noticed that when the scan stops so does the quick history.  So far, the only option I have been able to find that will bring it back up is to run the NPE (power eraser).  It always tells me that there is no risk found but the software works fine for a while after I do this.  Has anyone been able to determine what may be the cause of this?  I'm not 100% sure but I am beginning to lean towards an issue with some commonality between Norton and Windows 8.1 as I never had this issue until I updated to 8.1 in Windows.  I would appreciate any ideas on how to possibly come up with a permanent fix.  Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

I've been running for almost 2 months now with Norton. It is running great and I'm very pleased with it.

Note that Norton doesn't take care of adware and malware. These can be taken care of with adwcleaner and malware bytes anti-malware. These 2 utilities are free and work very well. In addition I recommend your browser use adblock extension. This combination (and of course a network firewall such as you might find in most routers) is usually enough.

Security Expert

Hi massengalesg,

Are you by chance on a Lenovo?  Is there any error message you are seeing?  I ask as I have seen this in the past?  https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v62545610_EndUserProfile_en_us?pvid=f-hom...

Please be advised that, the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool may not work with NSS. 

If you you do not have a Lenovo, or if the NRnRT dos not work for you, please follow the instuctions in this NSS FAQ to see if this permanently fixes your situation.

@ webmasterpdx,

I'd like to add that if you do run the MBAM Free version, do not select the trial of the Pro version as that will permit MBAM to run real-time which may cause corruption with Norton.

I'd also like to suggest SUPERAntiSpyware free edition

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

MBAM: That is good to know....thank you. I fortunately didn't run the trial PRO version.

Thx

-D

Norton Expert

Hello ,

Sorry! Did you try to uninstall/reinstall Norton? Also, it would be great to run the Windows System File checker & a Disk Check.

Thanks!

Harry

Norton Support

Contributor

Add me to the list of 8.1 users that are having the same problem. NSS version 21.3.0.12 is the version on my daughters notebook as well. Haven't been able to get it to work. 

New Poster

USAF_E-8_RET,

I am on a Lenovo.  I can force the scans/history to work just by running the NPE tool.  It doesn't find anything but Norton comes back online fully after the scan.  I wonder if somehow one of the config files is getting scrambled for some reason.  As for adware/malware, I use Spybot for that.  I've scanned the system before and after Norton looses its mind and neither scan turns up anything.   I have the gadgets app also.  I've noticed that if they don't show up when my system boots I can usually check Norton at that time and it doesn't work.  Not sure what, if any, coalition exists there but it is interesting.  I think this is one of those oh well kinda issues.  It happens, you find a way around it and keep on keeping on Smiley Happy  Thanks for the reply. 

Security Expert

dHi massengalesg,

In the past Rapid Boot/Rapid Restart would stop Lenovo systems from having Norton start at boot time - but yours seems to be different.

You mentioned Spybot - please make sure you have Tea-Timer disabled - as that runs real-time and has been known to cause conflicts with Norton products.

I don't use Gadgets and am not familiar with how it operates - so perhaps  disabling that couold provuide more insight into your situation.

Please let us know what happens with Spybot Tea-timer and Gadgets disabled.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

This is an issue with windows 8.1 and norton. The only fix is to reboot and scan as soon and you can get norton to load. 

I can reboot everytime I want to scan, but does that mean that if i'm not rebooting constantly norton isn't working? This needs to be fixed ASAP. If Norton doesn't have a fix for this, I strongly suggest Comcast picking a new provider. It really worries me that Norton could just not be working all the time and let things into my computer. I'm giving this a few weeks and then I will drop Norton and get a different provider, unless Norton can guarantee me that their product is protecting my computer 24/7 even when it doesnt want to scan. 

I do have the latest version, and everything is up to date. Uninstalling and reinstalling it wont fix this issue. Norton needs to update or remove Windows 8.1 from their supported list.

Security Expert

Hi Blugga,

Perhaps info on the following may assist you with info on restarting a Win 8 system as it seems there have been some issues with the rapid reboot/restart option.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

Also in regards to being protected - please look at he Norton Icon in the System Tray (by the system clock) and if it shows a green checkmark - you are being protected..

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

I have had this issue for some time and have experienced the frustration of removing and reinstalling Norton.  Now, finally, there is a solution!  Click the link above which shows how to disable Fast Startup in Windows 8.  Do that, reboot and run the scans.  

Tags (1)
Regular Visitor

I have had this issue for some time and have experienced the frustration of removing and reinstalling Norton.  Now, finally, there is a solution!  Click the link above which shows how to disable Fast Startup in Windows 8.  Do that, reboot and run the scans.  

Regular Visitor

I get the same problem occasionally.   It seems to fix it if I do a hard shutdown (Hold power key until off).  

New Poster

I run Windows 8.1 and Comcast's resident Norton Security Suite, 21.7 and every once a whle, I can't initiate the Quick Scan, it will do updates OK. When that happens, I just re-install Norton Security Suite. Afterwards, the problem goes away for a few days or couple weeks, and then it happens again. This has happened more than 10 times across a few months. Not sure why Norton's scan is broken that often.

Security Expert

Since you are on Win 8, please havea look at the following info in regards to Fast Startup:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-core/current/solutions/v95937867_EndUserProfile_en_us

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 40 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation