Community Forum

Newbie slowly dying from CPVFeed Virus

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Newbie slowly dying from CPVFeed Virus

I'm not a total newbie to computers, but quite frankly I find the steps in the beginning quite daunting and I'm afraid I'll **bleep** my computer by running all these programs and suggested fixes. Hijackthis?  Belarc?  I have little idea of what I'd be doing.... If I need to I'll do it, but I am not a tech by trade.

My home PC is infested with the CPV Feed virus.  I don't understand why my Comcast McAfee virus protection can't just get rid of this thing... or at least quarantine it.  I can't even find a way to ask McAfee a question.  They apparently have more security from consumers asking questions than they provide consumers against viruses. (Or would that be viri? :-)

Is there a simple regedit I can do? (not that I've ever done that either)

While searching the web I found this info:

[Quote]
Hi,
Like to say thanks for all the help, you guys are great. I found out how to remove the cpvfeed garbage. No more pop ups. Yea. If others need to know how, here is what i did.

I check my system 32 folder and the files were already deleted. Then I Reboot in safe mode click start then run. type in regedit and scoll to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\core and delete the core file folder. this will take about 1 minute and cpvfeed will be gone.

Cpvfeed installs two files core.sys and core.cache.dsk in \system32\drivers\
and registers itself as a service
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\core .
[/Quote]

What do you think?  I want to let McAfee know as well so I can be protected in the future too...  I also have Ashampoo spyware detector but it doesn't notice CPVFeed either.  I used to use Adaware, but it seems hopelessly out of date anymore.

Thanks,
Bill
Problem Solver

Re: Newbie slowly dying from CPVFeed Virus

Hacked 2 Death describes a malware infection ans asks for exorcism advice.

Read the post (by clicking the title in this sentence) at the top of the Security Forum entitled “READ THIS FIRST IF YOU'VE BEEN HIJACKED HAVE SPYWARE OR YOUR PC'S INFECTED” and perform the indicated steps; then

Execute the HijackThis (HJT) utility from Step 5 above and post the resulting log in your own thread in the Security Forum or in this thread if you’ve started it in the Security Forum and it is yours

Experienced HijackThis (HJT) log gurus will advise on your next step(s).

Once uninfected, consider the following: Malware comes in so many forms that multiple, overlapping tools are needed to maximize your protection.  I would recommend that you install, update, and run all of these useful protector/blocker and scanner/cleaner Anti-malware tools.

Contributor

if you are running XP, clean system restore area also. otherwise this is like a dog chasing its own tail, an infinite cycle ....
also go here for an omline scan: [code]http://virusscan.jotti.org/[/code]
Frequent Visitor

As a followup I can tell you the procedure I posted from the other forum does get rid of the CPVFeed Virus.  Very successful with no ill affects.

Thanks,
Bill