Community Forum

New modem wifi speed half of ethernet speed

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

New modem wifi speed half of ethernet speed

I just purchased a new Arris SBG6700-AC modem/router to keep from paying the Xfinity rental on their modem. I am getting 120mbps hard wired into my desktop but only 60mbps out of the wifi router. I know ethernet is always going to be faster but my rental modem was also getting 120mbps (next to the modem/router). The SBG6700-AC modem says it can handle up to 1600mbps wifi speeds. I understand Arris says that the ISP is reponsible for any firmware updates.

Question--Is there possibly some setting that I am missing to get my speed back up or is that just the way it is going to be?

Thanks

Mark

Regular Contributor

Re: New modem wifi speed half of ethernet speed

I don't know the ins/outs of this particular modem but, some of the newer devices for wifi combine the SSID for the network for both 2.4/5ghz networks.  It's possible your PC or the modem decided to shift you over to the 2.4 band instead of 5ghz.  If you haven't specifically configured much on it yet check the wifi settings to see if this is the case and sometimes performing a hard reset with the button on the back for 30 seconds will clear the issue and force the device to update fresh from the server when booting.  Sometimes these things sit on the shelf too long and there's old firmware on them when you purchase them and sometimes they don't grab the updated firmware on the first boot.  

New Poster

Thanks for the reply. The modem fast setup combined both 2.4/5ghz SSID's using what they call "Wireless Band Steering".

I am not sure if this is good or not?

Regular Contributor

It could be the source of your slow speed test on wifi.  If you have the option to turn the feature off or disable 2.4 and test to see if that's the issue then it might be solved.  You should be able to hit 100M speeds on wifi w/o much effort at all unless you're getting picked up on the 2.4 signal.

New Poster

I disabled the 2.4ghz and gave the modem a hard boot. I have used a couple of different speedtest sites.

If I wasn't getting 120mbps before it wouldn't bother me so much. It has to be a security setting or something.

Regular Contributor

I know with some boxes disabling things like QOS or bandwidth monitoring features unlocks the full potential as well.  

IME having your own equipment usually performs better than the rental stuff.  From another forum I found this: Turn off the wps, ip flood detection, wifi guest account and the firewall in it.