Community Forum

New & would appreciate best wifi set-up suggestions

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

New & would appreciate best wifi set-up suggestions

Hello, I'm new to Xfinity. Just switched last week from Verizon Fios.  I live just outside of Pittsburgh PA.  I chose internet (75mbps) and TV with one DVR and renting gateway which is an Arris TG1682G for $10/monthly. I like the TV better and the wifi is average.  

A problem I have is that wifi signal is weak in my upstairs office and in den. I had the same issue with Fios and fixed it by adding an Anctiontec WCB3000N wifi extender-I put it in the den and it attached via coax(not ethernet)-this solved my issue-this solved my issue as I got a strong signal in the den and on my office. It was also nice because the kids hooked their xboxes into the wifi extender via ethernet.  

What are my choices?  I keep seeing the xFi gateway from Xfinity and it looks like it would solve my issue. I'm not sure how to get this and if I need to upgrade my wifi speed from 75mbps to something higher? 

I was also considering to cascade another router to the den but I believe I'd have to run an ethernet cable to it from my existing Xfinity gateway as I can't hook it up with coax like I did with the actiontec wifi extender. I could manage doing this but it would still be a pain.

Or, I could purchase a Linksys Velop whole home mesh wifi system although it's very expensive.

I do have three kids and a wife who are always connected and our house, is a two story and average size, maybe 1850 sf.  

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I attemnpted to call xfinity and realized that would go nowhere. I do have an xfinity store about 8 miles away and I was going to ask them although I thought I would ask here first.

Thanks very much in advance.

Expert

Re: New & would appreciate best wifi set-up suggestions

Personally, I would go with a mesh system like the one you mentioned or the Netgear Orbi.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!