Community Forum

New MB8600 Modem Not getting correct speeds

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

New MB8600 Modem Not getting correct speeds

I just upgraded my SB6141 (8x4) modem to a Motorola MB8600 (32x8). I didn't need the Gigabit Speed yet (not offered in my area) but with seeing all the problems the 16x8 modems are having, with their shared chipset, I decided to just play it safe. Anyway I installed it, activated it with customer service and through the browser but I'm not getting the 250mbs+ I should be. Also my old modem is still present in my devices and it shows that the new one isn't connected.
145432110.png
Expert

Re: New MB8600 Modem Not getting correct speeds

For your old modem, unplug it, and call Comcast to remove your old modem from your account.

For your new modem showing up as offline and not getting your speeds, post your signal stats along with the error log, please, which can be found at http://192.168.100.1

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

For your old modem, unplug it, and call Comcast to remove your old modem from your account.

I already did this... Obviously I only have one modem hooked up. The new modem is working, just doesn't show that it is on my device page, also they haven't removed the old one after talking with them about it.

For your new modem showing up as offline and not getting your speeds, post your signal stats along with the error log, please, which can be found at http://192.168.100.1

I am not using one of the provided Modem/Router (gateways) from Xfinity. So that info isn't there...

Thanks anyway though. I am going to just spend more time on the phone with them.

Expert

It should be there and available. If nothing is showing up there, try rebooting the modem. If no luck after that, give it a factory reset by holding the reset button for 30 seconds.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Expert

Hi @Obsidian22

If you would like help from the community...

Start here: troubleshooting guide. If you still need help, please post your equipment details (make/model of your modem/gateway/router) and a screenshot of your signal levels and your error/event log. Thank you!

Since you've just swapped your modem, you may just have an issue with the way your new modem is on the account.

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not an employee.
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Obsidian22

If you would like help from the community...

Start here: troubleshooting guide. If you still need help, please post your equipment details (make/model of your modem/gateway/router) and a screenshot of your signal levels and your error/event log. Thank you!

Since you've just swapped your modem, you may just have an issue with the way your new modem is on the account.

That what I think the main problem is/was. My old modem SB6141 is still sitting on my account and I wasn't sure that the tech pushed the config file for the MB8600. Being stuck at the speed I was previously on was what was worrying me. I will hook up to it later and get the logs

Thanks

Expert

@Obsidian22 wrote:

That what I think the main problem is/was. My old modem SB6141 is still sitting on my account and I wasn't sure that the tech pushed the config file for the MB8600. Being stuck at the speed I was previously on was what was worrying me. I will hook up to it later and get the logs

Thanks

Usually that's just a matter of the old device showing up in your system until a refresh - I had my old TM822G show up in my Account for a few weeks before it finally disappeared, and it didn't affect my gigabit service at all. Same with a newer XG4V1 DVR box that I swapped out for a replacement.

As far as a bad configuration file, that could very well be the problem, but until you post your modem logs, we'll just have to wait and see.

@Obsidian22 wrote:

I just upgraded my SB6141 (8x4) modem to a Motorola MB8600 (32x8). I didn't need the Gigabit Speed yet (not offered in my area) but with seeing all the problems the 16x8 modems are having, with their shared chipset, I decided to just play it safe.

Just curious, are you referring to the Intel Puma 6 modem chipset?  Because there are a lot of unaffected modems suitable for your speed tier that don't have it - the top rated ARRIS SB6183, for instance. 

The Experts are regular customers who volunteer their time helping other customers on the Forums and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
Official Employee

HI Obsidian22, I can help with this, please send me a private message with your full name and phone number.

Thank you