Community Forum

New Gigabit Service/Low Speeds

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

New Gigabit Service/Low Speeds

I just had a tech out recently installing new XB6 Modem. As of yesterday download speeds are fairly low compared to advertised/purchased speeds. I realize you only get Gigabit (900-1G speeds when you are hard wired, but I believe I should be getting anywhere from 500-700 download through WiFi. Right now download speeds are anywhere from 300-400mbps and upload seems about where it should be at around 40mbps. From looking at the board it seems like you’ve received a bunch of these issues/requests already. I was just wondering if there was a Comcast tech that could help me please. Thank you very much! 

- Ryan
Expert

Re: New Gigabit Service/Low Speeds

WiFi can be tricky; my iPhone will sometimes get over 600 Mbps on the download speed test, other times it will go no more than 250. That's just the nature of the beast. It's also prone to interference from all kinds of sources, from TVs, microwaves, USB 3 devices, Bluetooth, and anything that emanates RF frequencies, or physical barriers. 

If you really want to maximize speed, go into your XB6 Admin Tool or log into xFinity xFi and change the SSID of the 5GHz channel to something else, then connect to that channel instead. Mind you though, the 5GHz band doesn't have the range of the 2.4 GHz band, so you may suffer from loss of coverage. Even then, I wouldn't expect you to suddenly get 700-800 Mbps like I did on my iMac when I had it on WiFi. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!