Community Forum

Network appears to be blocking my website

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Network appears to be blocking my website

Please HELP! I create some modest websites from home, but they are all add-on domains to the primary domain kestreldesigns.com. I cannot access any of my websites, cpanel or FTP when I am logged into my home network.

I've checked with friends, cellphones using data, proxy servers and my hosting company and the sites are all up and running and fine, but I can not connect, edit or otherwise manage them via my network.

It is not a firewall, anti-virus program, computer specific or browser related issue. It does not matter which device or browser is used, the website cannot be accessed via my network.

I've spent a great deal of time with Xfinity via chat lines with multiple people and none of the steps suggested work. Inevitably, the next service person I'm connected with has me try another variation on restarting our Xfinity provided all-in-one modem/router and I lose the connection with them and the problem does not get solved.

We had been having connectivity issues with our previous modem/router for several months and it was recently replaced with the exact same model. The TV always worked, but the wifi and phones would go out. The latest restart was a complete reset with sticking the special pin tool in the special hole and re-configuring everything. Even that didn't work.

I really really need to get connected again. Can someone here in the forums please help me figure out what's going on? I am moderately geeky and can follow instructions, but I am by no means any sort of networking guru.

This site can’t be reached
www.kestreldesigns.com took too long to respond.

<EDITED>

Frequent Visitor

Re: Network appears to be blocking my website

My previous post included a tracert, but now it says <EDITED> and the tracert is gone...  Not sure why?  But, I will try posting it again:

This site can’t be reached
www.kestreldesigns.com took too long to respond.

C:\Users\kestr>tracert kestreldesigns.com

Tracing route to kestreldesigns.com [192.185.35.82]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * 6 ms 7 ms 10.0.0.1
2 20 ms 13 ms 13 ms 96.120.61.133
3 14 ms 14 ms 15 ms ae-102-rur02.beaverton.or.bverton.comcast.net [68.85.148.153]
4 14 ms 15 ms 14 ms ae-51-ar01.troutdale.or.bverton.comcast.net [68.87.216.105]
5 19 ms 28 ms 20 ms be-33490-cr01.seattle.wa.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.92.217]
6 49 ms 48 ms 50 ms be-10820-cr01.champa.co.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.84.206]
7 51 ms 49 ms 53 ms be-12021-cr02.1601milehigh.co.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.84.226]
8 62 ms 63 ms 62 ms be-12124-cr02.dallas.tx.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.84.230]
9 69 ms 67 ms 67 ms be-12493-pe01.houston.tx.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.84.158]
10 67 ms 66 ms 66 ms as8075-1.2001sixthave.wa.ibone.comcast.net [75.149.230.54]
11 69 ms 66 ms 78 ms 216.117.50.134
12 71 ms 68 ms 68 ms 192.185.178.166
13 70 ms 69 ms 66 ms moderndaymusic.net [192.185.35.82]

Silver Problem Solver

Kestrel Designs is undergoing a redesign. Thank you for your patience.

http://www.kestreldesigns.com/

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

That’s my website and that is what it is supposed to say, but I cannot get access to it or any of my add-on domains. I know the site is not down. I need to know how to fix whatever is wrong with my network that is keeping me from accessing the site at all from home.
Gold Problem Solver

@indigogeek wrote: ... This site can’t be reached www.kestreldesigns.com took too long to respond. ...

I can reach the site as well. When one customer cannot reach a site but others can, it usually means the site is blocking that customer's public Comcast IP. You'll need to ask the site's admins for help with this. You can look up your IP at https://www.google.com/search?q=IP. Your webhost may claim they aren't blocking you, but your trace shows your packets are reaching beyond Comcast's network and reaching the target IP, so it can't be Comcast blocking your access.

Alternatively, change your router's MAC address if you have you have your own modem and router, or if you have a Comcast gateway device operating in Bridge Mode.  Or swap out your Comcast gateway for another one. Either change will result in assignment of a different public IP address.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your reply. Forgive my ignorance... Is there an IP address specific to a router? It doesn’t matter whose computer or other device is connected to my network. No device can access to website via the network. I have a router/modem combo rented from Xfinity.
Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

@indigogeek wrote: ... Is there an IP address specific to a router? ... No device can access to website via the network. I have a router/modem combo rented from Xfinity.

The router/modem combo is called a gateway, and all the devices that connect to the Internet through it will appear to have the same IP address as seen by the sites they connect to. As stated, you can look up that address (your public IP) at https://www.google.com/search?q=IP.

Webhosts often use automated systems that block IPs to protect themselves, and their employees tend to not know this. You need to either find a knowledgeable admin at the webhost to clear the block, or change your IP to something else as described earlier.

Frequent Visitor

Hello Bruce. Thank you again for your reply. I have given my host provider my computer IP's, my IPv4 and my IPv6 numbers. They swear that nothing is being blocked on their end. I have also tried resetting my modem/rounter/gateway multiple times and nothing seems to change. It doesn't even reset the IP addresses. I guess I will try contacting Comcast/Xfinity again to see if they can do something. This is SO frustrating! I appreciate your help.
Gold Problem Solver

@indigogeek wrote: ... I have also tried resetting my modem/rounter/gateway multiple times ,,, I will try contacting Comcast/Xfinity again to see if they can do something. ...

Resetting the gateway won't change the IP, and although Comcast has the technical ability to change IPs, I've never heard of them doing it at a customer's request.

Frequent Visitor

They just sent me a link with instructions to ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew. Didn't change a darn thing.
Frequent Visitor

Resetting the gateway won't change the IP, and although Comcast has the technical ability to change IPs, I've never heard of them doing it at a customer's request.

Their numerous tech support people, including their "advanced" techies still can't figure out the cause and say they can't reset the IP address either. They are going to send out a technician next week to take a look. (Ugh!) If you have any other ideas, please feel free to send them my way. Thank you!
Gold Problem Solver

@indigogeek wrote: ....They are going to send out a technician next week ...

There's nothing the tech can do to change your IP except, as stated previously, replace your gateway with any other gateway. It can even be the same model -- it just needs to be a different device with a different MAC address. That will cause Comcast's DHCP server to issue a different IP address.

Frequent Visitor

@BruceW wrote:

@indigogeek wrote: ....They are going to send out a technician next week ...

There's nothing the tech can do to change your IP except, as stated previously, replace your gateway with any other gateway. It can even be the same model -- it just needs to be a different device with a different MAC address. That will cause Comcast's DHCP server to issue a different IP address.

Hello Bruce! Thank you again so much for all your help! I finally got a tech guy who said my modem was behaving badly in other ways as well and I should be on the XB6 instead of the XB3 anyway and to head to the Xfinity Store to get a new modem. Swapped it out and everything works great and my speeds improved as well. Whew! Finally! Let's hope it lasts!!
Gold Problem Solver

@indigogeek wrote: ... Swapped it out and everything works great and my speeds improved as well. ...

Good to hear! If the original symptoms should return, I'd suggest you lean hard on your webhost and keep leaning 'till they 'fess up and unblock you.