Community Forum

Netflix viewing via LG Blu-Ray, with Comcast Router

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Netflix viewing via LG Blu-Ray, with Comcast Router

Hello Everyone -

THanks so much t all of yu that spend so much time answering all these posts - I appreciate your efforts.

I just purchased an LG BD570 Blu-ray player.  I have it set up through my Comcast-supplied Netgear N-150 router.  It works, however streaming movies take several minutes to buffer and once the movie starts the picture quality is below average.  Is there anything (other than having Comcast come out and move my router from the basement to the first floor where my Blu-ray player is and/or use a wired connection) I can do to improve streaming speed and quality? 

Thank you very much,

Ronzo

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Netflix viewing via LG Blu-Ray, with Comcast Router

Welcome to the Forum. Sorry you are having difficulty.

We need some more information in order to be able to see how to assist you

If you would, Please CLICK HERE which will browse into your modem. From there you can navigare to the page that shows your Signal levels. If you would copy that information and paste it back here in your thread we will try to help you. Note: We are interested in your downstream Power level and SNR as well as your upstream power.

Two additional links with step by step processes for troubleshooting an ddata gathering

Troubleshooting Suggestions for Connection-Related Issues

http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/board/message?board.id=5&message.id=69354&jump=true

Information Required for Connection-related Posts

http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/board/message?board.id=5&message.id=69355&jump=true

New Poster

hi jamesr - i just realized someone replied to me - thank you.  i thought i would be notified if i received a reply.  at any rate, here's my info from speedtest:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1247821076.png

please let me know your thoughts when you have a chance.  i am considering having comcast stop by this weekend to move my router from the basement and have it hard-wired into my blu-ray player (if that is even possible) or at least moved to the same floor as my laptop and blu-ray.

i look forward to hearing back from you. 

Silver Problem Solver

what make and model is your curent Router?

If you get a newer N band Router you would get highter speed and power out of it

Is your BluRay set up with a Wireless adapter?

If so then does the BluRay have N band capability?

OK several ways you can deal with this

1.  Two AC Powerline adapters to get the signal from the basement to the BluRay using your homes AC Power wiring.

2.  A wireless Access Point to repeat the Wireless signal from the basement to BluRay

3.  A high powered Dual band Router in the basement to increase the signal and speed available to the Bluray (Only if BluRay is N band capable)

4.  Move Modem and Router close to  BluRay for Ethernet Cable Connection

New Poster

I have the freebie from Comcast:  Netgear wireless-N 150. 

I don't know if my Blu-ray is set up with a wireless adapter - how would i find that out?  It was WI-FI built in, if that helps.  Also not sure if the Blu-ray has N band capability.  I'm reading the Blu-ray manual now and I cannot find a reference to N-band.  I have the LG BD570 Blu-Ray. 

Out of your suggestions below, #4 seems to be most logical. 

Silver Problem Solver

Number four is a good starting oint.

Make the connection to BluRay and a PC.  Power everything up.

Open your browser and type http://192.168.1.1 into the address bar and browse in to your router

Browse to Attached Devices and you should see your BluRAy.

If so, you are good to go.

With Wireless built in, I would bet that you have the N band, but either way, if you disconnect the cable, then the wifi should kick in and you should again see it as one of hthe attached devices when browsed in to your router

If so then move the Router back to whatever location works for you.

Edit to fix a typo on the Router Access IP address.

Regular Contributor

I would recommend connecting using network cable. My Vizio had problems with wireless, but wired works fine.

Silver Problem Solver

@Blue_Two wrote:

I would recommend connecting using network cable. My Vizio had problems with wireless, but wired works fine.

That is valid.  Of course it depends on the physical location of the various components and the viability of the wireless router and wireless adapters.