Community Forum

Netflix streaming blocked

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Netflix streaming blocked

We have xfinity TV and Internet service at our house with the X1 DVR box. As of Monday morning all of our "Smart TV"s and "Smart Blu Ray"s can no longer connect to the Netflix servers. We can watch Netflix on both Android and Apple devices that are hooked to our WiFi. Can watch Netflix on a PC or Android device internet browser connected to Comcast Internet service. We CAN watch Netflix if we use the App on one of our X1 boxes. Simply put I see no other conclusion than Comcast has actively blocked our Smart TVs from accessing Netflix on purpose. Now, if there is another answer I would gladly accept it if we can get Netflix back on our TVs.  Thank you.

Expert

Re: Netflix streaming blocked

That makes no sense - if your iOS , Android, PC AND X1 devices can connect to Netflix no problem, then Comcast obviously isn't blocking anything on their end. They're not going to be able to differentiate whether the device connecting is a Smart TV or an iPhone. 

When was the last time the firmware on the TVs and Blu-ray players was updated? How are they connected to the network? What band, if wireless? What happens when you run the troubleshooting utility on each affected device? Have you tried resetting each affected device to factory defaults and setting everything up again? What does Netflix say about the issue?

Comcast Experts are other customers who volunteer their time helping on the forum and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
Unless so specifically stated, my opinions written herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast, its official employees or affiliates.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a regular customer volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Two Samsung Smart TV. One a 2014 the other a 2017 model. Both Updated with latest software. Then an older Sony Blu Ray. All devices connected fine last week. Nothing has changed on our wireless. Have tested additional apps on all 3 devices. All other apps work perfectly.

Expert

Are the affected devices able to connect to the internet in any capacity at all? (Like Amazon VIdeo or YouTube) 

Comcast Experts are other customers who volunteer their time helping on the forum and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
Unless so specifically stated, my opinions written herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast, its official employees or affiliates.

I am a regular customer volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

Yes. Everything working on every device in my house EXCEPT netflix on two TVs and one blu ray player. Says can't connect to server. Does an in depth test and all 5 US servers show blocked.

Expert

You haven't said if you reset the devices, (or at least, signed out and signed back into Netflix), or if you contacted Netflix support.

Frequent Visitor

I have unplugged devices. Reset netflix on one of the TVs. No help. Haven't contacted netflix yet.

Frequent Visitor

Ok. Reset Netflix on the 2017 samsung smart TV. Hooked the wireless to my verizonwireless cell phone hot spot. Netflix works fine. Switched back to WiFi that is connected to comcast. Netflix no longer works. Even tried it mid-episode. Buffered 25% and stalled there on comcast. Switched to verizon and off it went....  Smiley Sad And as I said, nothing has changed on my WiFi between sunday and monday.

New Poster

This exact thing is happening to me right now! I appear to be blocked from streaming video in Netflix, Hulu, and HBO GO from both my Shield TV and a Roku. However things like playing music in Google play music or even watching Nova in the PBS app work fine. When I connect these devices to my T-Mobile phone as a hotspot, everything works like it is supposed to.

I have signed in and out of accounts, deleted and reinstalled apps, and even fully reset the Shield, (which is proving a huge hassle), to no luck. I have also removed these devices from my Xfinity network.

Could this have anything to do with having these devices connected to a public xfinitywifi network at other times?
Frequent Visitor

My devices have never been connected to any wifi but my own. I've been wondering if maybe netflix themselves are somehow blocking select types of devices that come through a comcast connection to better promote Comcast's netflix app on the X1 DVR
Contributor

I have been having this issue for 3 weeks until an outage last night. After the outage was over I could connect to Netflix.
New Poster

I’m having the exact same issue. Netflix works on my X1 cable box but does NOT work on my Apple TV. I’m afraid to log out the Netflix App on my iPhone cause it is still working on my iPhone. I feel like since I logged out of the app on my Apple TV and when go to log back in it doesn’t work. I’m also now paying Netflix through my Comcast bill. I’m really bummed cause I use my Apple TV in my bedroom which I don’t have nor want a cable box.