Community Forum

Need more ethernet (CAT5) ports for my XB6 Wireless Gateway. How do I accomplish this?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Need more ethernet (CAT5) ports for my XB6 Wireless Gateway. How do I accomplish this?

And I should add, if your devices are Gigabit capable, make certain the wiring is Cat5e or Cat6. Cat5 will not work well beyond a few feet.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Need more ethernet (CAT5) ports for my XB6 Wireless Gateway. How do I accomplish this?

@ 

Good call on the white switch, I forgot they had the one where you can plug the ethernet in the back

Maybe I'm weird but I like seeing all the wires and flashing lights.....makes me happy :-)  

Expert

Excellent.

BTW is the switch going to be in a visible area? You may want to get the white version of the Netgear switch as the cables plug in the back, making them less unsightly.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KFD0SYK/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdb_t1_4xzeBbNZ24QGY

Comcast Experts are other customers who volunteer their time helping on the forum and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
Unless so specifically stated, my opinions written herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast, its official employees or affiliates.
Diamond Problem Solver

Understood. Wired connections, when possible, are always preferable to WiFi ones. BTW, there are things that can be done to improve WiFi range / reach / performance.

New Poster

Thank you for responding to my post for help.  We will obtain a Netgear GS308.  That should make all the Ethernet CAT5 users in our house happy.  Unfortunately, the wireless speed/connection of the xfinity XB6 Gateway is horrible in several rooms in our house.  Thus the need for wired connections.

New Poster

Thank you for the information.  The Netgear GS308 looks like the solution for us.  8 ports should make everyone happy!  By the way, the reason we are using some Ethernet CAT5 connections is because the wireless connection/speed from the XB6 to certain rooms in our house is horrible.

New Poster

Thank you. I will make sure the model we purchase supports Gbit speed.

Expert

I have these and they work great:

1. TRENDnet 5-Port Unmanaged Gigabit GREENnet Switch (TEG-S50g) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QUA6R0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_-9yeBbD1YDNF3

2. NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS308)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KFD0SEA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_A7yeBbHFHMNEK

Comcast Experts are other customers who volunteer their time helping on the forum and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
Unless so specifically stated, my opinions written herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast, its official employees or affiliates.
Frequent Visitor

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Ethernet-Unmanaged-Internet-Splitter/dp/B00KFD0SEA

Been using mine with XB6 and GB Internet and works excellent. 

Diamond Problem Solver

FWIW, the DOCSIS rating / spec doesn't apply to switches. What you want is a "gigabit" capable switch;

https://www.google.com/search?q=gigabit+ethernet+switch+amazon&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS782US782&oq=gigabit+e...

New Poster

Need more ethernet (CAT5) ports for my XB6 Wireless Gateway. How do I accomplish this?

Comcast just updated us to a CGM4140COM XB6 Wireless Gateway that only has 2 Ethernet CAT5 ports.  Prior to the upgrade, we had an xfinity WiFi 802.11n XB2 wireless gateway that had 4 Ethernet CAT5 ports.

I need to connect at least 4 Ethernet devices via CAT5 to the XB6 Wireless Gateway.  How do I accomplish this?

The guy at the Comcast Xfinity store said to use a hub or a switch that is rated for DOCSIS 3.1 or higher.  I've looked at several hubs/switches online and can't seem to find anything in their specifications about DOCSIS version compatibility.

Can anyone recommend a device (hub or switch) that is simple to set up and is compatible with the CGM4140COM XB6 Wireless Gateway and can connect at least 4 Ethernet devices via CAT5?  If so, what is the brand and model number?  Thank you in advance for any help you can give me on this.