Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

My name is being used in fraudulent emails.

New Poster

My name is being used in fraudulent emails.

My sister is receiving fraudulent emails with my name attached. The email has my name and a Comcast.net address. I do not have a Comcast.net email account, but my sister does. Does this mean one of our email accounts has been hacked?  Which one?

Accepted Solutions
Expert

Re: My name is being used in fraudulent emails.

You didn't say what email service you do use, but check your Sent folder to see if there is anything in there you know you didn't send.  If so, the account has been compromised and you need to change the password right away.  If not, someone is just using your name to "spoof" emails.  It is quite easy for spammers to make it look like emails are coming from you when they are not.  There is nothing you can do about that but wait it out.  Spammers will usually use a name or address for a while and move on to annoy someone else.

All Replies
Expert

You didn't say what email service you do use, but check your Sent folder to see if there is anything in there you know you didn't send.  If so, the account has been compromised and you need to change the password right away.  If not, someone is just using your name to "spoof" emails.  It is quite easy for spammers to make it look like emails are coming from you when they are not.  There is nothing you can do about that but wait it out.  Spammers will usually use a name or address for a while and move on to annoy someone else.

Official Employee

Hello Lushia28, most likely this is a spoofed e-mail just like those spoofed phone calls we all love (Heavy sarcasm). What I would suggest is have your sister make sure she runs a virus scan to clean anything off that might be there. If you need any further help going forward please reach out to us, we are always here to assist. Have a great day.