Community Forum

Multiple IPv6 addresses on Android phone

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Multiple IPv6 addresses on Android phone

My Comcast XB3 gateway recently updated it's firmware and ever since I have not been able to use WiFi on my HTC One M8 at home. My WiFi on my phone works everywhere else except home. I got my gateway replaced and had the same problem even with the new one. It worked fine before and I think when my router updated it now does not play nice with the software on my phone (Android 5.0.2). I downloaded the DNSet app off of Google play and it seemed to solve the problem. It creates a VPN and then lets you use Google's DNS servers. However I consider this a workaround and want to find a more permanent solution without having to rely on this app.

I switched my phone to a static IP on my gateway and changed to DNS server on my phone to see if this would fix the problem...it didn't. While I was poking around in my gateway I saw that my phone was assigned 7 different IPv6 addresses. I am guessing that this is the problem because all of the other devices on my network have only one, including other android phones.

What could be causing the multiple IPv6 addresses and is there any way to fix it? I didn't see a way to turn off IPv6 in my gateway.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Multiple IPv6 addresses on Android phone

Identical issues, in identical XB3 (two different Cisco models) on exactly the same day.
Frequent Visitor

For me...on Nexus 5 and Nexus 4, but NOT on Moto G w KitKat.
Frequent Visitor

Download DNSet from the Google play store and it will fix it. From what I can see this is an IPv6 error caused by this firmware. When I run DNSet and then check my settings in my gateway I can see that my phone is then only assigned an IPv4 address.

I've spoken to and emailed Comcast and they are giving me "solutions" that don't make any sense. They actually suggested that I just connect to the public WiFi hotspot portion of my gateway and just deal with it that way. That is a horrible solution since that is publically available to any Comcast customer in my area to free...what am I paying for then? Also, my gateway doesn't even broadcast the public hotspot so that terrible "fix" wouldn't work for me anyways. Seriously thinking about switching to Fios when I move in a month.
Frequent Visitor

Hang in there Pete20030.

Expert

If you actually are a Comcast employee or contractor you may not be aware of this fact: Comcast employees must be authorized by the forum administrator in order to post in an official capacity. Employees have their names in RED and are designated as such.

If not authorized they can post here but cannot state they are employees. Nor can they allude to being employees.

You can contact the community manager here (Comcast Larry) about it;

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/4671561

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Appologies. 

Official Employee

This is being looked into shortly...

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I went through 2 different level 2 technicians on a similar problem and finally got a solution:

Symptoms:

1. Chrome/Safari dns very slow; Android slow on some apps (xfiniity app takes 2 minutes on wifi versus 3s on 3g to load)

2. Cable modem is SMC d3g

3. IPV4 pings and routes fine; speedtest is fine

4. IPV5 (ping6 traceroute6) do not work, e.g., from Mac desktop; 

5. test-ipv6.comcast.net shows 0/10

Diagnosis:

Devices on the home network are getting non-routable IPV6 from comcast cable modem or autoconf and it cannot be turned off (we tried)

The problem on Android isn't only IPV6 DNS. You can briefly get back functionality by the following on a rooted device:

adb root

adb shell "echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/wlan0/disable_ipv6"

Solution:

The techs told me to disable IPV6 on all devices on my home network. That isn't possible for me.

So we found that If you do not have a static IP then your tech can "fully Bridge your modem, to bypass the router completely and give you functionally a stand-alone modem and your device would then be getting assigned a IPV6 from the CMTS in your area."'

Only use a single cat5 into the modem and make sure you have a firewall enabled between your LAN and the modem.

COMCAST is rolling out IPV6 on broken cable modems. Winter is coming.

Bill

New Poster

I'm having problems as well with the wifi speed with my Comcast Gateway Modem and our cell phones.

My husband has a Galaxy S5 and I have the Galaxy S4.  Every other device in the house tablets, laptops, etc appear to be working fine.  Our cell phones are another story.

I don't know anything about working with router settings.  Has anyone found a solution? 

Admin1

Hello Pete,

Can you send me your account info through a Private Message so I can have someone contact you about this?

You can click on my name (ComcastZach) and click on “Private Message Me”.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Admin1

Hello Tracy,

I requested to have someone contact you about how to get the phones connected or change any settings as needed

Thank You ~ Z

New Poster

Thank you Zach.  Someone left me a message yesterday.  When I called back they were busy so I will try again this evening. 

New Poster

Having this same issue on two galaxy S6 and a single Galaxy S Blaze.. just started happening two days ago. Very unhappy with this, and thinking about switching if this isnt resolved soon.
New Poster

okay, so i found a fix, but it wont be for everyone as it requires rooting. Its the same thing that a gentlemen posted above

"adb root

adb shell "echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/wlan0/disable_ipv6"

but i found a simple app that does it called Disable IPv6. Ive put it on both my girlfriends and I rooted phones and the connection is great again. 

I really hope an update gets pushed to fix this issue. Not everyone roots their android phone or know about forums to voice their complaints and problems, so i can only imagine how many android users with xfinity that is thinking W-T-F and is about to jump ship. 

This needs to be worked out, and fast. 

Frequent Visitor

I too am having the same problem. It is affecting a Samsung phone, Samsung tablet, lg phone, and a win 7 desktop I Disabled ipv6 on every device I could but my phones are not rooted, and the one can not be. The evening of may 13th things started running smoother. Multiple addresses are still assigned but for some reason the phones started loading pages much quicker. I fear it will not last, as I still see the multiple addresses assigned.
Frequent Visitor

My gateway is dpc3939
Frequent Visitor

Substantially improved on 13th.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you ComcastDoug!!!
New Poster

I didn't get a chance yet to call Comcast back.   I noticed last night (May 13th) that my phone started responding quicker.  I tried a few apps I was having problems with recently (iHeart Radio, Instagram, Facebook) and all were responding rather quickly this morning.  Maybe the problem has been solved and I no longer need to call.

Going to continue following this thread.  Was there an update or something that would cause my phone to be responding better?  I'm hoping it's not just a fluke! 

Thank you.

Frequent Visitor

It is much improved, but still slower than when I use dnset or the hotshot. Please fix this comcast
New Poster

I had this very same problem and noticed things improved yesterday.  Still going strong today so hopefully not a fluke.  Thank you.

Valued Contributor

FYI - Found this article about the problem today::

Comcast’s wireless gateways don’t play nice with Android 5.0 Lollipop, but Google’s on the case
By Quentyn Kennemer, Phandroid - May 13, 2015

http://phandroid.com/2015/05/13/comcast-wireless-gateway-lollipop-bug/

A nasty issue with Comcast-bred wireless gateways has spawned for anyone using Android 5.0 Lollipop. According to sources of Phandroid’s familiar with the matter, the bug makes general browsing and download speeds slow to a crawl when an Android 5.0+ device is used over WiFi with a number of Comcast wireless gateways, including (but possibly not limited to):

• Cisco XB3939
• Cisco XB3941
• Arris 852
• Arris 862
• Technicolor 8305c
• SMCD3GNV

So what’s causing the issue? The exact problem is unknown, but we know it only affects customers when they try to use an Android 5.0 or higher device with Comcast gateways that use IPV6. ...

Expert

@telcodad wrote:

FYI - Found this article about the problem today::

Comcast’s wireless gateways don’t play nice with Android 5.0 Lollipop, but Google’s on the case
By Quentyn Kennemer, Phandroid - May 13, 2015

http://phandroid.com/2015/05/13/comcast-wireless-gateway-lollipop-bug/

A nasty issue with Comcast-bred wireless gateways has spawned for anyone using Android 5.0 Lollipop. According to sources of Phandroid’s familiar with the matter, the bug makes general browsing and download speeds slow to a crawl when an Android 5.0+ device is used over WiFi with a number of Comcast wireless gateways, including (but possibly not limited to):

• Cisco XB3939
• Cisco XB3941
• Arris 852
• Arris 862
• Technicolor 8305c
• SMCD3GNV

So what’s causing the issue? The exact problem is unknown, but we know it only affects customers when they try to use an Android 5.0 or higher device with Comcast gateways that use IPV6. ...

Telcodad,

NICE FIND!!!   I even elected to QUOTE it again so that others see this..... especially for those who are running 4.4.4 and are "thinking" about upgrading to 5.0 when it becomes available from the cellular provider....    I personally have seen 5.0 on a friend's cellular, but due to your research, I am reluctant to upgrade at this time until Comcast and/or Google come up with a solution.

Thanks again!

-=Ray=-

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I've received calls from 2 different Comcast #'s.  The one I can NEVER get on the phone when I get home from work.  They call me everyday when I'm at work but when I try after 4pm EST it just says they're busy.

The other number that called me when I called them back they instructed me to download the DNSet app and set it on auto start.  I did all the authorizations and a little key stays on my notification bar saying I'm connected.  Only problem....when that little key is active my Instragram, Facebook and several other apps display "can't reload page".

I ended up deleting the app and I'm just dealing with the mediocre speed until Google or Comcast fix this. 

Official Employee

As of today this issue should be resolved.  Pages should load just as fast as they did with DNSet installed/running.  I have been using my own android devices as verification throughout testing. 

Thank you for your patience while we worked to chase this one down.

Regular Visitor

Hi recently, last week, have the same issue with wifi vs my samsung note 3!  Comcast wifi vs samsung authenication error will not connect to cell phone only at home base. Two days ago reset the modem the modem issued another ip address for phone  ,cell worked with wifi for two days ...then today zip no wifi on samsung note 3!

Regular Visitor

Is there a setting fix for the Comcast IPv6 issue on Comcast Wireless Gateways and Android Lollipop.  I too have done the DNSet thing, but do not like running a VPN on my phone.  WiFi is nearly useless on my Android devices and the Comcast router.  Can Comcast make settings changes on my router to turn off IPv6?

Frequent Visitor

I am still having this problem. It was fixed for a few weeks but it is now just as slow before.
New Poster

I just bought an LG Leon last week and cannot get this !@#! to hold on to a wifi signal at home.  It is perfect everywhere else.  I'm ready to sling the phone against the wall and ditch Comcast altogether.

My old phone didn't have these issues.  I am not tech savvy.  I have already called Comcast and gotten connected to a tech whose English was not good.  I hung up on him.  I am ready to cry.  Help!

New Poster

My wife recently upgraded to the LG G4 running andoid 5.1 and has run into some serious problems with the phone.  A number of Apps including facebook and email are slow to the point of being unusable.  I understand there have been  some problems with comcast and android but is there a definitive solution for folks who are not very tech savvy - really need some help here.

New Poster

I had this same issue on my phone. Wifi would connect, but none of my apps would refresh, or would take FOREVER to refresh a little bit of information. 

I changed my router bandwidth settings from 20MHz to 20MHz/40MHz and the problem has disappeared.

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (5.0.1)
New Poster

Not sure but after reading through the comments and having experienced this exact issue with my dpc3939 gateway, (I have the full quad play and everything else works fine) I got to investigating my router settings in relation to the ippv6.  Under connection, local ip network, under the ippv6 section I unchecked the second box (stateful-use dhcp server) and almost immediately my wifi connections improved 100% with no adverse effects on any other system that I have noticed yet.

New Poster

Issue is still not resolved
New Poster

I too am having the same problem (Android Lollipop on Galaxy S6) + Comcast router.  The DNSet app does work and is fast, but really slows down my text messaging.  I followed Microsoft's directions on the link below to disable iPv6 and so far it seems to be working well.

ComcastDoug: is there an ETA on a more permanent fix from either Comcast or Google?  I assume both companies have been working on a fix.  I actually scheduled to have Verizon Fios installed due to the large inconvenience and amount of hours I've spent working on this issue and over the phone with the Comcast folks.  Three technicians came out and were unable to figure out the problem and the ones on the phone were also of no help.

New Poster

New Poster

how would I do this since its a comcast router and im wifi on pc?!

Contributor

Stable IPv6 environment with ASUS RT-N66U router.  Added brand new Galaxy S7 Edge, and began to wait 5-10 seconds for new web pages to load and couldn't configure my Comcast email without getting timeouts.

Mage two changes to my ASUS router configuration and tested that BOTH are necessary.

1- Changed back to the factory default of using "Stateless" auto configuration (a DHCPv6 issue)

2- Removed OpenDNS server addresses, allowing router to use Comcast's DNS servers by default

Web pages delay and email server timeouts immediately disappeared.

I had used "Stateful" because I had wanted to influence the IPv6 addresses served by my router (fortunately only a geek's requirement that really makes no functional difference).  And I preferred OpenDNS for name resolution as they make a greater effort to block phishing spoofs.  ASUS makes a very configurable router - with other routers you may have to turn off IPv6 altogether.

Expert

Year old thread now being closed.