Community Forum

Moving the modem

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Official Employee

Re: Moving the modem

Hi Evelia21, 

If you are not familiar with how to get this done, I'd prefer to have a technician scheduled for you for your safety and to make sure the services are working correctly once this process is completed. Can you please verify your first and last name, full street address, and the phone number or account number associated with your services in a private message? 

To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me.

Frequent Visitor

DirecTV and cable internet don’t work together. They can’t operate on the same cable at the same time. You would need a seperate line at the side of the house, where your cable line from the street comes in, to the back of the modem. Try to find an open line where your service drop comes into the house. It’s usually near the main power breaker and meter on the outside. If there is an enclosure, grey plastic or metal box, that says Cable or Xfinity on it then that’s it. The cable outlets should be inside that enclosure. The other place to look is if you have a media panel, looks like a fairly large metal plate mounted in a closet wall. There should be a key latch or 4 screws holding it in place. That’s where phone, network and cable connections are as well. If you find one of these, the easiest way to check if the line can be used is to get a cable toner, screw it onto a piece of cable, attatch that cable to the wall plate jack, or connect the toner directly to the wall plate itself, then take the speaker end to your location where all the cable lines are and plug it in to a cable fitting until you get an audible beep. Once you have that beep then you can connect your modem at that outlet. You can find a pocket cable toner online for fairly cheap. They look like this.
48ED0315-7C05-44F1-9166-0229298A4219.jpeg
Silver Problem Solver

You can move your modem to any active cablejack. Your Comcast modem should not have anything to do with a Direct TV box. 

OR........Tell your boyfriend to stop disconnecting the modem, problem solved.

New Poster

Moving the modem

Hello, I need help with moving my modem my boyfriend disconnects the internet when ever he wants and my children hate it so i want to move it downstairs with them becuase they feel like they should keep it since they pay for it and i agree but I need help figure this out

Its in the the living room and its hooked up to the Direct Tv cable box I know there is a splitter involved i just dont know what cables are nessary