Community Forum

Motorola modem issue

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Motorola modem issue

my motorola sbg6580 or 6850 ( the common one. i dont have it here in fromt of me so i forgot the number on it) anyway..i have an apple macbook pro and an iphone8. the other day my macbook will not connect to it, but my phone will. and everytime i try to sign my macbook into it the long way ( by searching for it in the wifi wave at the top of the screen, it shows up as a viable unit to connect to,)  however, when i click on it to link it up, it will not let me. but i look at my phone, and its connected to it. can someone PLEASE, give me a hand with this? i cant even get online to try and update the firmware to it. im sure it needs an update as its around 6-8 years old. 

New Poster

Re: Motorola modem issue

16 views and NO ONE?? no one can give me a suggestion??

Expert

@Qhorse13 wrote:

16 views and NO ONE?? no one can give me a suggestion??

Whoa, partner, relax. This isn't real time technical support like you would get on chat or by phone, this is a peer-to-peer user support messageboard. Don't expect instant responses. 

1. What version of MacOS are your running on the Macbook? 

2. What exactly happens when you try to connect with the Macbook? What error message does it give you?

3. Have you tried connecting to the gateway using Ethernet?

4. Is this a Comcast leased gateway, or do you personally own it? 

The Experts are regular customers who volunteer their time helping other customers on the Forums and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

A few things to try.

1) Power off all of the devices, (on the Macbook, power down, not sleep) wait at least 30 seconds and power on the modem/router first, wait a bit for the lights to normalize, then the Apple Macbook. Sometimes that is all that is needed.

2) Try connecting the Macbook via cable to the router

3) Try connecting a different PC to the router

4) in the MAC Preferences, Network, are you “Using DHCP” as in most cases that is what you want.

5) Since one device works and another does not, is one device on one band and the other on the other band (2.4 GHZ and 5 GHZ). Try connection to each band.

6) power cycle the Modem/Router but be aware you will need to re-enter all of your settings (SSIDS, passwords,…)

7) Turn WIFI off. You can try going to Preferences, Network, Select WIFI, select Advanced, select your Network name and then the “-“ sign to remove Network name from the list. Also remove any networks you no longer use. Click OK and APPLY as needed. Turn on WIFI and try to establish the WIFI connection. You will need to reenter the password.

Let us know if any of these works.

Expert

@Bert-X wrote:

6) power cycle the Modem/Router but be aware you will need to re-enter all of your settings (SSIDS, passwords,…) 

FWIW, a simple power cycle operation of the device will not wipe out any customized settings. Only a full reset back to factory defaults does that.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!