Community Forum

Motorola Surfboard SB6121 looses IP connectivity -

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Motorola Surfboard SB6121 looses IP connectivity -

Hi,

just recently every few hours we loose IP connectivity to the Internet.  The modem does not reset itself.

The attached router still has it's DHCP address, but can only intermittently ping it's default gateway.

to resolve sometimes we can simply reset the router, other times we have to call 1800-xfinity and have a modem reset signal sent to the modem (power cycling the modem may or may not work). The modem logs show no pwr/signal issues. The tech support said there were no modem drop out/signal issues logged at their end either.

So the answer was to replace the modem!! It's brand new- less than 60 days old.

I'm not buying, yet, that the modem is stopping processing of IP packets.   What current known issues are there with the motorola.  I'm on the 1.0.6.6. version of firmware.

Please post how to troubleshoot why IP connectivity continues to drop.

I'm in Colorado Springs if that makes a difference.

Are there known IP issues  in the colorado area?

Expert

Re: Motorola Surfboard SB6121 looses IP connectivity -

@jconnary wrote:
What current known issues are there with the motorola.  I'm on the 1.0.6.6. version of firmware.

Take a look at this lengthy thread about firmware issues with it;

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Connectivity-and-Modem-Help/Having-issues-with-your-Motorola-SB6121-Ple...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Hi, thanks for the reply.  But my modem is NOT rebooting and the power levels are good as confirmed by comcast.  I'm loosing IP connectivity only - i.e. abiltiy to ping my default gateway or connect to any websites.

anyone else having such issues, while the cable power levels are stable and the modem is stable from that standpoint?

Expert

Did you read and comprehend the entire thread. It's mostly about firmware issues although general connectivity issues are mixed in there..

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I'm seeing exactly the same intermittent problem - modem shows the "internet connectivity" light, my router is connected to it, but I can't reach the internet. If I hang out and press refresh a lot, internet connectivity comes and goes. Manually rebooting the modem appears to solve the problem for anywhere from 2-24 hours and then I have to reboot it all over again.

The page EG provided seems right on the money - it's a problem with the modem itself and folks seem to report that it started a couple of months ago after some sort of automatic firmware update. I just got my modem about a week ago, replacing a Comcast-rented $7/month modem with the Motorola Surfboard SB6121 after it looked like the best-recommended modem by Comcast at http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ (3 checkmarks, 3 stars, non-telephony, still produced.) I bought it rather than a cheaper one or a lesser brand because I didn't want to experience any problems.

Given all these problems that so many customers are experiencing, it seems that at a minimum Comcast needs to remove the modem from that highly-recommended list.