Community Forum

Modem working fine before move, now I'm being told I need to upgrade

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Modem working fine before move, now I'm being told I need to upgrade

Hello there, like the title says my modem was working perfectly fine prior to the move. Is it possible that the service rep was trying to coerce me into upgrading my modem needlessly? I'm using an Arris sb6183 and she would say that it's end of life and that I'm "not getting the optimal speed" but would ignore me when I said I don't mind if I'm not getting the optimal speeds and that I just want internet, lol. I just got done speaking with an online chat rep and was told that I'd need to have a service technician come out and that there will only be fees if the issue is not their own (The customer service rep I spoke to online said it was a flat $60...) Is this my only option? Thanks!

Expert

Re: Modem working fine before move, now I'm being told I need to upgrade

Start here: troubleshooting guide. If you still need help, please post your equipment details (make/model of your modem/gateway/router) and a screenshot of your signal levels and your error/event log. Thank you!

Video: How to view power levels and event logs.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the quick response!

I'm working my way through the troubleshoot guide for stuff I haven't already tried, but here's my event log and stuff.. it doesn't look like any I've seen online so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong Smiley Sad

Edit: My router is an Arris sb6183

modemhalp.png
modemhalpp.png
Expert

FWIW, that stuff is invalid because it says that the modem is not synchronized with the system. Try to post the stats when it is synched with the system.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Ahh gotcha, so if it's still not sync'd after leaving it overnight does that mean my modem is busted or that something's not set up right? (I moved into an apartment complex if that matters)
Expert

It could be an RF signal / connection quality problem, or a modem hardware problem. Most of the time it is the former.

Expert

The modem doesn't appear to be acquiring an upstream channel. A high pass filter may have been put on the line that a tech has to remove. Good luck !

Gold Problem Solver

@gtfotis wrote: ... Arris sb6183 and she would say that it's end of life ...

It isn't: see http://mydeviceinfo.g.comcast.net/device.php?devid=417.

... and that I'm "not getting the optimal speed" ...

Comcast rates the 6183 for use with Internet speeds up to 373 Mbps (see https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/arris-sb6183-417), so it should be OK up to that speed. Even if your plan speed is higher, the modem should be able to establish a basic connection to Comcast's network provided, as stated, there isn't a problem in the signal path.

If you can't get it working, you'll need a tech to track down the problem.

Expert

It's not finding the CMTS,  let alone connect to the first download channel. Almost makes me wonder if that cable connection is live to begin with. I'm thinking a tech visit is in order as well. 

Official Employee

Hi, gtfotis - How did the appointment go? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.