Community Forum

Modem question

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Modem question

I would like to know if there is a diffeence bewteen the TG1682G (the modem i have) and the TM822G. I know the TM822G has 8 download channels and 4 upload while the TG1682G has 24 download channels and 8 upload but my plan is 150 mgps and both support more than that. To summarize, if one modem is clearly better than the other but both support the speed would the better one be faster or the same.
I would also like to know if i could add a router to the TM822G because it already has a built-in router would it still work. Thanks.
Expert

Re: Modem question

The 822 does not have a router component. It is an eMTA (straight cable modem with phone support).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Well more channels are always better Smiley Happy but TBH you probably wouldn't notice any real-world difference between the two devices. The TM822G is a stand-alone modem, so you would need a router for multiple connections and/or Wi-Fi. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Ok thank you, just to be clear if i get the TM822G and add a router it would work. Would it support 5ghz if i get a 5ghz router?
Expert

Yes and yes.