Community Forum

Modem Speed

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Contributor

Modem Speed

I saw an arris modem that shows speed up to 1750MBPS.  Is that a good speed?  Also how can I tell how fast my modem is now?  Please don't be too technical.

Thank You

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Modem Speed

Here's a link to the Comcast speed test: http://speedtest.xfinity.com/

What is the exact make and model number of your current modem ?

Which speed tier are you currently subscribed to ?

Expert

Hi @ECouture,

The speeds that manufacturers advertise are generally silly, you'll never see those speeds in the real world. 

Go to http://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com and you can see your speed tier and your current modem. You can also see approved devices for your speed tier. 

Be aware that you either need a modem AND router or a combo device known as a gateway. 

I am not an employee.
Contributor

I took the speed test from the link that you sent.  This is what it gave to me.  download speed 53.0 mbps & upload speed 12.3 mbps.  That seems really slow compared to what I have seen.  I now have an Arris modem but I don't know the model.

How would I get a faster speed with Comcast?  Thank you for your help.

Contributor

my speed seems to be very low.  download is 53 and upload is 12.  How would I get a faster speed?  

Thank you for your help.

Silver Problem Solver

@ECouture wrote:

my speed seems to be very low.  download is 53 and upload is 12.  How would I get a faster speed?  

Thank you for your help.

Which type of connection are you using - wifi or Internet?  Wifi will always be slower than ethernet.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

@ECouture wrote:

Thank you for your help.

I'll ask again. Which speed tier are you currently subscribed to ? The model number of the modem would also be helpful.

Contributor

The modem speed I have shows 250.  I know we have an Arris but I don't know which model.  It was bought quite some time ago.

Diamond Problem Solver

Well FWIW, if the model can't support it, you won't get 250.