Community Forum

MoCA 2.0 setup unstable possibly due to POE filter

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

MoCA 2.0 setup unstable possibly due to POE filter

I just set up my MoCA network and everything seemed to be working fine, except there are 2 issues. I attached an image of my setup. I pay for 250mb download speeds.

1. When I have a POE filter on my line, my speeds drop to approx 130mb download. Without the filter on the point of entry, I can get up to 290mb speeds (which is great since it's a bit more than I pay for.)

So the filter is removed currently, but I think that is resulting in this second issue:

2. The moca network sometimes cuts out for about 30 seconds at a time, every few minutes or so. This does not happen all the time. I don't think the connection gets lost completely, since the coax lights on my Actiontec adapters are still lit up. But the speed must go down to nearly nothing at all. Then after 30 seconds, it goes back up again.

What is going on here? I think I have everything set up correctly since I usually get the speeds I'm suppose to. Things appear to be working. But why am I losing speeds with the filter? And could not having a filter on there be causing the instability as well?

Please help.

RG

qMWEZqf.jpg
Expert

Re: MoCA 2.0 setup unstable possibly due to POE filter

Are your splitters MoCA rated?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

Yes, MoCA 2.0 specs (see diagram). One splitter came with the Actiontec MoCa adaptors, and the other is a Holland brand splitter. Both conform to MoCA specs.

Expert

wrote:
Are your splitters MoCA rated?

OP has his splitters listed as 5-1675Mhz which is typical for MoCA compliant splitters. With that said I'm racking my brain to figure out what's happening. 

I am not an employee.
Expert

OP: Give this a try: Leave the PoE filter in place, hook the switch up directly to the router and check your speeds. 

I am not an employee.
Regular Visitor

Okay, just to update this... I had a Comcast tech come out to check out the system (not a sub contractor, an actual Comcast guy). He understands MoCA a bit, so we diagnosed a few things. Having the X1 DVR box on the line with a POE filter drops the download speed to approx 150. If I remove the X1 DVR, the speeds go right up to about 290 download. Oddly, if I keep the X1 DVR box on there but remove the POE filter, the speeds are 290. SO... In my setup, I can either have the DVR or the POE filter, but not both. It's so strange.

Someone would have to know A LOT about this stuff to figure out why the DVR and POE filter cannot maintain full download speeds when on the line together. As is, I'm just happy I can get my speeds, even if I have to take the filter off to do so. If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them.

Expert

As a quick test try leaving the POE filter in and try unplugging the X1 system from power temporarily to see what you get.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

Thanks, jweaver. In my previous post I did do exactly that, and I get great speeds. It's definitely a problem with having the X1 on the MoCA network, and having the POE filter on at the same time. If I remove one or the other, the speeds are fine.

Frequent Visitor

wrote:

Thanks, jweaver. In my previous post I did do exactly that, and I get great speeds. It's definitely a problem with having the X1 on the MoCA network, and having the POE filter on at the same time. If I remove one or the other, the speeds are fine.

If I understand correctly the video side of MoCA and the LAN side of MoCA are at two different frequencies. X1 DVR should be between 1150-1175 mhz. As a test can you isolate your two MoCA networks? What I mean is can you put a seperate POE filter on the side that has your MoCA LAN adapters and another one feeding the X1 DVR, two terminals and modem? You're going to need more coax for this and a 3 way splitter.

Regular Visitor

Okay folks, I have an update. Since we know the X1 is causing the issue here, a member in another forum suggested I place an additional POE filter on the input to the X1 to block any kind of interference that may be re-entering the MoCA network from the X1. Initial tests are promising. I now have a filter on the X1 coax input, as well as a POE filter at the cable point of entry to my house. It yields full download speeds! This is the first time I can have everything on the line and get full download speeds.

In my schematic, the cable box at the top of the diagram (upstairs) is the X1. I have another non-X1 cable box in the basement (bottom of the diagram). If I did have an X1 in the basement as well, I believe the additional filter I placed on the upstairs X1 would prevent the two boxes from communicating with one another, and therefore eliminating any extra features like whole-house dvr, etc. But since I don't need that functionality, this solution should hold up for now.

There are times when I do swap the boxes, and place the X1 in the basement. I don't know if this solution will hold up when the X1 is in the basement (essentially at the other end of the MoCA network). In theory, this solution should still work. I'll test it later today.

Prior to this solution, I was also experiencing an occasional signal drop on the basement end of the MoCA network. I hope this was due to not having any POE filter on the line, so maybe that problem is fixed as well. I'll update after I've tested some more.

Expert

Huh. Thanks for the update.  SO your MoCA adapters and the boxes (also using MoCA) weren't playing nice together. Isolating the boxes from your adapters solved your issue. Sweet! 

I am not an employee.