Community Forum

Massive speed/usability issues after upgrading to Extreme 300

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Massive speed/usability issues after upgrading to Extreme 300

Hi all, I just recently upgraded to Extreme 300 from my old Blast 100 plan and experiencing some speed and usability issues. I do Speed Tests regularly through both the XFinity and and Speedtest.net site and while on the Blast 100 I always performed higher than 100 for my download speed. Usually in the neighborhood of 110-120. And when I say I do tests regularly I mean at least daily if not a few times a day. After upgrading to the Extreme 300 the first day I was getting the same speeds as before. Then I got on the chat and they said the plan wasn't applied correctly so he applied a new profile or something and had me reboot the modem. I was getting around 170-180 then, which while not what I expected obviously I figured at least it went up and maybe if I waited a while it would correct itself.

Now we're several days later and so far the max I can get on a speed test is around 90 which is clearly well below even what I got daily on the Blast 100 plan. But pages are noticably loading slower. I work in the IT field myself and common sense tells me that if I'm getting 90 on my speed test pages should still load just as fast they always did because webpages use very little bandwidth. Now sometimes when I do a speed test I get in the 40s or lower. Once for my downstream I got 2.6 which I can see pages loading slow with that.

I called tech support tonight and the guy was less than helpful. He was clearly reading from some kind of notes or guide so I don't know if he was new or not but it was basically just him telling me to do the most basic of steps I'd already done. We were on the phone 25 minutes and finally he just said he'd send out a tech to check the signals. Personally I don't think it's a signal issue because my connection has been rock solid for years at this point until I did this upgrade. I think something got messed up on that end.

Anyone else have issues like this and could offer any advice? Or is there a way I can call and speak with a tech that might know a little more about these issues? I'm not trying to knock a guy that was clearly new to the job but that 20 minute call just didn't produce anything of value.

Expert

Re: Massive speed/usability issues after upgrading to Extreme 300

Start here: troubleshooting guide. If you still need help, please post your equipment details (make/model of your modem/gateway/router) and a screenshot of your signal levels and your error/event log. Thank you!

I am not an employee.
Frequent Visitor

Hi, thanks for the reply!

My router model is the DPC3941T.

My event log is pretty sparse, I don't even see an error log. Here's what's on my event log:

[Dhcpc][2052]: mta0 got new IP -REMOVED-     2018/4/12 00:48:44    Notice
[Dhcpc][2315]: erouter0 got new IP -REMOVED-     2018/4/12 00:48:31    Notice

And attached is a screenshot of my signal levels.

modemsignal.jpg
Expert

Signals look okay. Are you testing speeds via ethernet? I'll ask an employee to look over your account, just so we can eliminate any provisioning issues. You can expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not an employee.
Frequent Visitor

Yup. Wired connection straight into the modem. Not even a router in between, I have one but it's for the wifi devices not this PC.

Official Employee

TTerry, let's take a closer look at those speed issues. Shoot me a private message with your full name and phone number so I can take a look. 

KenF

Frequent Visitor

PM Sent, thanks!

Official Employee

PM Sent, thanks!

Got it, thank you!