Community Forum

Low Downstream Signals

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Low Downstream Signals

Hi.  My downstream signals are a bit on the low side I feel.  I use a 2-way splitter outside and no splitter inside to the modem.  Today, I decided I would get a TV for my room again (where modem is), so added a 2-way splitter for that and downstream signals dropped even more obviously (upstream signals went up).  I started to notice connection problems.  So, I'm back to the modem only.  Is there a way to adjust these at all?  I tried both locations coming off the splitter inside and also different splitters outside, but the signals still stay around the same level, -6 or -7 for downstream.  I attached my current signal levels.  I have the SB6183.  

signals1.png
signals2.png
Expert

Re: Low Downstream Signals

They are a bit weak but not severely so. If you are having noticeable problems you could try using a drop amp but they are typically considered to be a * band-aid* fix and not typically recommended over fixing line problems correctly.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, EG.  I guess I could just run a line throughout the house for the TV only then my modem would stay as it is now.  Do you know if this is something that can be fixed properly outside somewhere, like maybe on the pole?

Frequent Visitor

Also, EG, can you tell me which one you prefer between these two:

https://www.channelmaster.com/Antenna_Cable_TV_Amplifier_p/cm-3412.htm

http://www.pctstore.com/RF_amplifier_CATV_amp_2_port_amplifier_PCTMA22P_p/pctma22p.htm

If I'm to understand correctly, my downstream will go up about 11 or so and my upstream would go down about 4 or so?