Community Forum

Lost 5ghz internet connection, now no devices will connect at home.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Lost 5ghz internet connection, now no devices will connect at home.

This morning, we lost the 5ghz connection on our internet.  The 2.4(2.5?) is still there, and we can connect to it.  Comcast rebooted the modem 3 times, nothing.  The first representative said that I have to plug in the new modem they sent me (the one that they advertised we could get for free to upgrade, but it has no ports in the back to hardwire, so now I need a switch or stay on wifi everywhere).  After I said that the old modem was fine up until today, he became argumentative and rude.  I hung up and called the next person.  He asked what was not connecting, because he could see some connected.  I told him, the 5ghz is weak, but yes some devices connected - I forced my phone and laptop to look at the 2.5 just to get internet, but none of my HOME Security could connect because it is looking at the 5ghz.  He said, oh your home security is not working, let me transfer you......I said, well we can certainly do that, but that wont fix that the internet is not working for the rest of the house? He agreed, but that is what his screen will let him do, nothing else.  I laughed and went along.    20 minutes later after the new rep rebooted my home security a few times,  she said well we need to send a technicial.  I said, so you dont think the home security is not working MAYBE because the internet is not connected???? She argued that only a technician could fix it.
After reviewing posts about this issue , some have seen the issue go away just by rebooting, and by chainging equipment, but others change equipment and have the same problem.  This looks to me like a network/signal decision that Comcast suddenly decides to cut off customer access to.
I explained this above to the representative and she said all her screen says she can do is schedule a technician, but she could have the high speed internet department see if they could fix it before the person gets here.... I said, why can I not speak to the high speed internet department now?? She said all she can do is schedule a visit. 

I feel REALLY BAD for these representatives that are completely ignorant to what Comcast is really doing to customers, and are not at all empowered to help customers.  They could have at least offered some remedies, like connecting to the 2.4 ghz until the 5ghz was fixed, but they did not even understand that concept of the two.  
Anyone have any ideas why Comcast would do this? Or is this really an equipment issue?

Expert

Re: Lost 5ghz internet connection, now no devices will connect at home.

@settlersmerchan wrote:

This morning, we lost the 5ghz connection on our internet.  The 2.4(2.5?) is still there, and we can connect to it.  Comcast rebooted the modem 3 times, nothing.  The first representative said that I have to plug in the new modem they sent me (the one that they advertised we could get for free to upgrade, but it has no ports in the back to hardwire, so now I need a switch or stay on wifi everywhere).  After I said that the old modem was fine up until today, he became argumentative and rude.  I hung up and called the next person.  He asked what was not connecting, because he could see some connected.  I told him, the 5ghz is weak, but yes some devices connected - I forced my phone and laptop to look at the 2.5 just to get internet, but none of my HOME Security could connect because it is looking at the 5ghz.  He said, oh your home security is not working, let me transfer you......I said, well we can certainly do that, but that wont fix that the internet is not working for the rest of the house? He agreed, but that is what his screen will let him do, nothing else.  I laughed and went along.    20 minutes later after the new rep rebooted my home security a few times,  she said well we need to send a technicial.  I said, so you dont think the home security is not working MAYBE because the internet is not connected???? She argued that only a technician could fix it.
After reviewing posts about this issue , some have seen the issue go away just by rebooting, and by chainging equipment, but others change equipment and have the same problem.  This looks to me like a network/signal decision that Comcast suddenly decides to cut off customer access to.
I explained this above to the representative and she said all her screen says she can do is schedule a technician, but she could have the high speed internet department see if they could fix it before the person gets here.... I said, why can I not speak to the high speed internet department now?? She said all she can do is schedule a visit. 

I feel REALLY BAD for these representatives that are completely ignorant to what Comcast is really doing to customers, and are not at all empowered to help customers.  They could have at least offered some remedies, like connecting to the 2.4 ghz until the 5ghz was fixed, but they did not even understand that concept of the two.  
Anyone have any ideas why Comcast would do this? Or is this really an equipment issue?

You covered a lot of ground but with very little detail. I'm going to deal with the internet issue as the Home Security problems might be resolved by fixing this. 

Let's start with the new gateway. What model did they give you that didn't have any Ethernet ports to connect to in the back? I'm not aware of any. 

Second,  did you actually activate the new gateway? 

Third, what was the model of the old gateway, and do you have the sidecar Netgear WNR1000v2 router for Home Security? 

Fourth, what's your internet speed tier?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

400, getting 44.
There are two ports, not the 4 I need w/o switch...
The POINT being signal loss.
I changed the modem and still no 5ghz.
Now, they are saying there is an outage in my area.
Again, inability to take information given is a lack of understanding customer issues. You, like they, focused on all they could, hardware. When it was OBVIOUS the speed went down and is too weak to connect.
Expert

@settlersmerchan wrote:
400, getting 44.
There are two ports, not the 4 I need w/o switch...
The POINT being signal loss.
I changed the modem and still no 5ghz.
Now, they are saying there is an outage in my area.
Again, inability to take information given is a lack of understanding customer issues. You, like they, focused on all they could, hardware. When it was OBVIOUS the speed went down and is too weak to connect.

Thank you for the info.

Please bear in mind that this is my first interaction with you and I'm unfamiliar with your connectivity issues. I'm trying to figure out what's going on and eliminating possibilities so we can get to the bottom of things. I'm not asking you questions to irritate you, I'm asking them so we can isolate the problem. 

In addition,  you wrote that the new gateway had no ethernet ports, and now you said there are two. (To which I assume you have the new XB6). While this is an understandable oversight, you should understand that this is going to delay resolution if you do not provide accurate information on your posts. 

If the 5 GHz channel is not present it's possible it was turned off in the settings. You may need to log onto the Admin Tool in your gateway and change your settings from there, or alternatively, you can use the online xFinity xFi tool to do so.  

Finally, please note that I am a volunteer on this forum, helping out wherever I can. If you do not find my assistance to your satisfaction, I can move on and help someone else and refer your issue to another Expert.  Would you like me to do that? 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I'm sure you believe knowing the #ports on the new modem not connected is highly relevant to this post, but that to me just shows an incredible lack of listening an lack of ability to help.