Community Forum

Limited options to choose - Does it make any difference?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Limited options to choose - Does it make any difference?

@IPghostwrote:

Most modem/router boxes are profoundly not secure and are so vulnerable to attack that they should be returned to the ISP or thrown away

Without opening up debate over administrative compromise,  I was just looking for one modem from the list which would provide the lesser downgrade of the two in the data/internet speed from the current modem that I'm renting. Am I taking for granted that the Netgear and Arris models that Xfinity that are deemed as compatible devices for my Performance PRO tier will be a step down ? 

I don't see any price incentive whatsoever dropping voice from the triple play bundle, and going with for instance, Vonage for desktop. And MS Skype or Google Hangouts don't even deserve to be ranked among other VoIP telephony service providers.

I'm not certain why you mentioned two 'Extreme' tiers as 'choices'.

My question was on either the CM500V model or the TM822R contributing to possiblly a downgrade experience with the Performace Pro tier 100/5  or  the 150/10  tier. 

Xfinity has also stated to me that when a customer purchases their own modem, they surrender a 'free' upgrade with that rented Gateway if the DOCIS standard is rolled out in the next year or so to DOCSIS 3.5. So effectively they're saying that any modem purchase I would make could potentially be obsolete in about a year.

I was just pointing out options, with phone service there are fewer retail options.

Of the two, the CM500V or the TM822R, I'd go with the CM500V it has double the downstream channels. You would be a little more future proof (for any future free speed upgrades) with that. Or carry on renting, you will get the same speed whatever your choice. (if you don't intend to upgrade your speed).

Regular Visitor

Most modem/router boxes are profoundly not secure and are so vulnerable to attack that they should be returned to the ISP or thrown away

Without opening up debate over administrative compromise,  I was just looking for one modem from the list which would provide the lesser downgrade of the two in the data/internet speed from the current modem that I'm renting. Am I taking for granted that the Netgear and Arris models that Xfinity that are deemed as compatible devices for my Performance PRO tier will be a step down ? 

I don't see any price incentive whatsoever dropping voice from the triple play bundle, and going with for instance, Vonage for desktop. And MS Skype or Google Hangouts don't even deserve to be ranked among other VoIP telephony service providers.  

I'm not certain why you mentioned two 'Extreme' tiers as 'choices'.

My question was on either the CM500V model or the TM822R contributing to possiblly a downgrade experience with the Performace Pro tier 100/5  or  the 150/10  tier. 

Xfinity has also stated to me that when a customer purchases their own modem, they surrender a 'free' upgrade with that rented Gateway if the DOCIS standard is rolled out in the next year or so to DOCSIS 3.5. So effectively they're saying that any modem purchase I would make could potentially be obsolete in about a year. 

Silver Problem Solver

There's a few choices with this, as EG states you can go for two modems one for voice and then a standalone modem for internet.

Actually, the 16x4 CM500V is $9 cheaper than the 8x4 TM822R, and would be good for the current tier of Extreme 300/25. (Extreme 400 if available requires a modem with 24 downstream channels).

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-black/6105901.p?skuId=6105901

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arris-surfboard-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-black/5839004.p?skuId=5839004

Hasn't been available on Amazon for some reason lately.

Or you could pay the extra for one of the two 24 downstream all in one gateways, with voice included, then bridge the device and use your own router.

Or drop phone service, get Voip from a third party, but you would lose any promo and get less discount for a double play.

Just food for thought.

Diamond Problem Solver

FWIW, you can use an eMTA like the 822 for voice only service in tandem with any cable modem that you desire for data / internet service via a two-way coax cable splitter. You would need to call in to a rep and tell them what you are doing and that you want the eMTA provisioned for voice only service and the cable modem provisioned for internet service.

Regular Visitor

Limited options to choose - Does it make any difference?

I'm currently leasing a DOCSIS 3.0 modem for the triple play bundle that supports up to 627 Mbps, 24 x 8 channel bonding, IPv6. Also 2 phone lines and 2 Gigabit Ethernet ports.
I want to purchase a standalone eMTA modem instead of leasing a modem/router combo. Problem is that I only have two options to choose from. I'm on Performance Pro tier - 100 Mbps ( increased over the years from 25Mbs to 75Mbps to 100Mbps) and may even upgrade to a faster speed in the future. So currently, there are only two approved compatible models to pick from: Either the Netgear CM500V with 680 Mbps download and 16x4 channel bonding. Or, the Arris TM822R with 343 Mbps download and 8x4 channel bonding.
If I were to consider upgrading to the next tier - Blast!Pro with currently 150Mbps download speed, which is still within my budget, how much of a difference would even be noticed in speed with that tier for the extra $10 month, keeping in mind that I want to purchase one of the two meager standalone modems be and return the leased gateway ? It shows on (mydeviceinfo) for the 150Mbps tier, that I still only have the same two standalone modems to choose from. Secondly, would one of the two modems provide any noticable difference in speed over the other ? ( I don't live in a congested metro area)