Community Forum

Is A New Cable Modem Worth It For Me, Motorola SB6121 Not Supported Anymore?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Is A New Cable Modem Worth It For Me, Motorola SB6121 Not Supported Anymore?

Hello,

I had a comcast tech comeout to my house and pair a couple of home security sensors to my security system and he mentioned that my current cable modem (a Motorola SB6121) will not be "supported" anymore.  I was wondering if this is true and if not, it is worth it for me to replace it?  It is about 8 years old right now.  It is capable of 172 MBPS download speed.  I currently have an internet plan that has up to 250 MBPS.  Does any one have this plan and a newer model modem and notice faster speeds?  I did a speed test and noticed I only have download speeds of around 132 MBPS in the middle of the night by they way when traffic is lighter.  I prefer not to rent a modem from Comcast and save the $11 per month fee as I can easily get a newer modem for under $100.   

Expert

Re: Is A New Cable Modem Worth It For Me, Motorola SB6121 Not Supported Anymore?

The highly rated, rock solid, proven performer, the Arris SB6183 would serve you well !! And the price is right !! Your 6121 doesn't have enough multiple bonded downstream channels to be able to deliver 250 Mbps speed.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Is A New Cable Modem Worth It For Me, Motorola SB6121 Not Supported Anymore?

@gono1vol wrote: ... SB6121 ... capable of 172 MBPS download speed. ...

For reference: the SB6121 is still supported, but the manufacturer's claimed speed is much higher than you will ever see in actual use. Comcast rates the 6121 for use with Internet plans speeds up to just 101 Mbps (see https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/arris-sb6121-365, whereas they rate the SB6183 EG recommended for speeds up to 373 Mbps (see https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/arris-sb6183-417).

Frequent Visitor

Hello,

Just an update for you all, I went ahead and purchased a new cable modem to replace the Motorola SB6121 I currently own just to see if I can squeeze more speed out of my internet connection.   I purchased a Motorola MB7621 and it has vastly improved my download speed........My download speed is now around 280 MBPS which is more than double the 132MBPS download speed I was getting from my old Motorola SB6121.  Probably the main reason I initially upgraded to the new  cable modem was on the recommendation of the Xfinity tech who said it would improve my connection to my Xfinity home security system using the app to monitor my system and view my cameras remotely.  It has done that and more.   

Expert

Happy surfing ! 🙂

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!