Community Forum

Internet slowing down to a crawl on occasion but lasts for hours.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Internet slowing down to a crawl on occasion but lasts for hours.

I recently got Comast a few weeks ago and I'd say about 10 times so far the internet speed has dropped to a crawl ( under 5mps ) and when it happens it can last for hours or for the rest of the day. I've tried resetting and unplugging the modem but that doesn't help. The issue doesn't just affect the wifi as when I direct connect to my xbox or laptop it still doesn't work or barely works. I've called Comast a few times and they cannot see any issues on their end. I called Motorola ( I purchased my own modem) and was advised if I'm still experiencing issues while direct connected it's an ISP issue. It seems to happen more often when I try to play games online with the xbox or when im working from home and using my laptop. I had a 50 Mbps plan with Verizon before I moved and online game while other people were streaming was never an issue. Not sure if it's because comcast has lower upload speeds? I currently have the 60 Mbps plan with comcast.

I showed my modem power levels to a friend and he stated due to the upload channels only having one channel and the power level being too high, it's probably a wiring and poor cable issue somewhere. I only have a cable going from wall to modem, but I do live in a duplex and not sure if there could be a poor splitter somewhere or something. I told comcast about the power levels and they said to call the modem company which I did and was told it's not an issue with modem. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Thank you

modem.jpg

modem.jpg
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Internet slowing down to a crawl on occasion but lasts for hours.

You probably need a tech out if you can't find the problem yourself. Upstream def has a problem.

Some tips here:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Xfinity-Internet-Connection-Troubleshooting-Tips/td-...

Expert

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not an employee.
Regular Visitor

event lo.JPGThank you. I also wanted to include this event log. I was told by rep at modem company that you should only have a couple T3 disconnects a month. We've had several today including one shown in this event log .

Official Employee

Hello MattD616, I am more than happy to assist you with getting your speeds up to where they need to be. Can you please send me a private message with your full name, street address, and account number by clicking on my name (ComcastAmir) and then "private message me"?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!