Community Forum

Internet issues - upgrade from DPC3008 to wireless gateway modem?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Contributor

Internet issues - upgrade from DPC3008 to wireless gateway modem?

We have a DPC3008 modem that has served us well for several years.

A couple of days ago we started experiencing frequent problems on all three of our PCs with Firefox not being able to load pages. I don't know if this is related but around the same time we started getting 'performing TLS handshake' messages in the bottom left corner of Firefox that I don't remember seeing before. In addition internet speed has been up and down, sometimes 'normal' and other times very sluggish.

I just ran Comcast's own speed test and got some interesting results. That test showed download speeds in the 70 - 75 mbps range and upload speeds as high as 31mbps and as low as .2 mbps. Several times the upload speed test stuttered, stopped and restarted itself during the test.

I'm wondering if maybe the DPC3008 is acting up and it's time to replace it?

If I go to Comcast for a replacement they will give me the 'wireless gateway'. Any comments about that?

Thanks!

Regular Contributor

Re: Internet issues - upgrade from DPC3008 to wireless gateway modem?

Oh, I forgot to mention - Comcast's speed test showed 71 - 75mbps upload speeds but I have only the 25mbps Performance plan . . . that seems rather optimistic . . .

Regular Contributor

Jeez, I meant to say:

Oh, I forgot to mention - Comcast's speed test showed 71 - 75mbps download speeds but I have only the 25mbps Performance plan . . . that seems rather optimistic . . .

Expert

That modem is getting pretty long in the tooth, it might be time to consider upgrading. Is there a router involved? You can check your signal levels and see if they meet specifications. (See the troubleshooting guide.) Also, Comcast recently increased Performance from 25 to 60Mbps, plus it's "overprovisioned" a bit, so your speeds sound about right.

And yes, they will most likely give you a gateway device. They perform fine for most people.

I am not an employee.
Expert

@ggeinec wrote:

If I go to Comcast for a replacement they will give me the 'wireless gateway'. Any comments about that?

Some things to consider about gateway devices;

Just look around the forums and you'll see that there are boatloads of issues with the CC supplied gateways.

There is always an inherent disadvantage with these. Combo gateway devices are always a compromise in both quality and performance compared to separate units. Also, only the ISP can update the firmware so you are always a prisoner of that / them. And the firmware is typically crippled by the ISP's customizing of it and they typically eliminate valuable features.

One of the biggest issues with them is that it is far more difficult to diagnose connectivity issues when it comes to troubleshooting. You can't narrow things down by using the process of elimination by removing just the router from the path. And if either segment fails / malfunctions, you have a total failure. I think that CC made a big mistake when they changed their policy and decided to start supplying them instead of dedicated devices. The suits seem to think that this will save them money for support costs but I think that they are getting far more support calls/complaints than ever... We certainly are seeing far more complaints in forums now.

Another issue is that Comcast has been creating a publicly accessible 'xfinitiwifi' link on their gateways. It supposedly uses separate bandwidth from your own. You can disable it from a link on the Comcast site, but people have been posting that it keeps turning itself back on every day.

Get separate units and keep the control of your home network in your hands instead of theirs, you'll be much happier !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

@Nerdburg wrote:

That modem is getting pretty long in the tooth, it might be time to consider upgrading. Is there a router involved? You can check your signal levels and see if they meet specifications. (See the troubleshooting guide.) Also, Comcast recently increased Performance from 25 to 60Mbps, plus it's "overprovisioned" a bit, so your speeds sound about right.

And yes, they will most likely give you a gateway device. They perform fine for most people.

Yes there is a router involved. It just turned 5 years old. It too has served me well.

Expert

@ggeinec wrote:

Yes there is a router involved. It just turned 5 years old. It too has served me well.

If your issues are corrected by directly connecting to the modem via ethernet, then you can focus on the router as the issue. The modem is sufficient for your speed tier, so if it isn't bad, you don't really need to replace it. 

I am not an employee.
Regular Contributor

@EG wrote:

@ggeinec

Just look around the forums and you'll see that there are boatloads of issues with the CC supplied gateways.

... snipped ...

Get separate units and keep the control of your home network in your hands instead of theirs, you'll be much happier !

Not necessarily what I was hoping to hear but I'm not surprised. I've always preferred single purpose devices to devices that combine functions.

I happen to have access to a new in the box Arris\Motorola SB6141. That one also has been around for a while. But would that be better than going with the Comcast supplied gateway?

It would be paired up with my 5-year-old ASUS router which has been great but also is rather old . . .

Thanks for your input!

Expert

@ggeinec wrote:

@EG wrote:

@ggeinec

... snipped ...

Not necessarily what I was hoping to hear but I'm not surprised. I've always preferred single purpose devices to devices that combine functions.

I happen to have access to a new in the box Arris\Motorola SB6141. That one also has been around for a while. But would that be better than going with the Comcast supplied gateway?

It would be paired up with my 5-year-old ASUS which has been great but also is rather old . . .

Thanks for your input!

If you have your own gear, it's better than paying Comcast a monthly rental fee. Use the $ you save to upgrade your equipment.

I am not an employee.
Regular Contributor

@Nerdburg wrote:

@ggeinec wrote:

If your issues are corrected by directly connecting to the modem via ethernet, then you can focus on the router as the issue. The modem is sufficient for your speed tier, so if it isn't bad, you don't really need to replace it. 

Yes, I should perform that test. Thanks for reminding me.

Also, thanks for the information about the upgraded speed for the Performance plan. Comcast never notified me about this and I haven't read anything about it anywhere. I'm surprised. I would have thought they would have  broadcasted it all over the place.

Regular Contributor

@Nerdburg wrote:

@ggeinec

If you have your own gear, it's better than paying Comcast a monthly rental fee. Use the $ you save to upgrade your equipment.

LOL. I know. I'm the guy on the block who when he does things like switch from the Comcast supplied modem to his own modem he runs into all sorts of connectivity and other problems and then gets the cold shoulder from Comcast because he's not using their modem. But if I find that I need to make a change anyway maybe this is the time to do that too.

Regular Contributor

@ggeinec wrote:

We have a DPC3008 modem that has served us well for several years.

A couple of days ago we started experiencing frequent problems on all three of our PCs with Firefox not being able to load pages. I don't know if this is related but around the same time we started getting 'performing TLS handshake' messages in the bottom left corner of Firefox that I don't remember seeing before. In addition internet speed has been up and down, sometimes 'normal' and other times very sluggish.

I just ran Comcast's own speed test and got some interesting results. That test showed download speeds in the 70 - 75 mbps range and upload speeds as high as 31mbps and as low as .2 mbps. Several times the upload speed test stuttered, stopped and restarted itself during the test.

I'm wondering if maybe the DPC3008 is acting up and it's time to replace it?

Thanks!

It appears this was a problem caused by an update to Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit that was released on or around March 8.

Uninstalling MBAE fixes the problem.

Meanwhile, in the process of debugging, I swapped out the DPC3008 modem for an Arris TG1682G gateway. That thing is huge. I'll probably leave it in place for a couple of weeks to make sure everything is ok and then replace it with a bought modem. The Netgear CM600 with the Broadcom chipset seems to be a good choice but I don't see a lot of posts about it in these forums. Not sure I'm ready to spring for a GB modem yet. I'm running in the Performance 60Mbps tier.

Any thoughts?

Expert

FWIW, for futureproofing, personally, I would not invest in a DOCSIS 3 modem at this point with the new DOCSIS 3.1 spec already available in many areas. There are other benefits to having DOCSIS 3.1 besides gigabit speed capability.

I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Expert

@ggeinec,

Interesting, thanks for the update. I actually have Malwarebytes running on my desktop right now, I'll have to fool around with it and see if I can duplicate your issue. IMO it doesn't really matter what modem you buy -- if it's an approved device it should be fine. The router is really the heart of the network, so spend your $ there and get the best one you can afford. 

I am not an employee.
Regular Contributor

@Nerdburg wrote:

@ggeinec,

Interesting, thanks for the update. I actually have Malwarebytes running on my desktop right now, I'll have to fool around with it and see if I can duplicate your issue. IMO it doesn't really matter what modem you buy -- if it's an approved device it should be fine. The router is really the heart of the network, so spend your $ there and get the best one you can afford. 

Thanks for your follow-up input.

Be aware while you fool around with MBAM that I'm running the old v2.2.1.1043 version of MBAM and the standalone version of MBAE on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with SP1. Yesterday MBAE updated itself to v1.12.1.42 on the two PCs that still have it installed. The issue with Firefox 58 still is there. Malwarebytes acknowledge that this update to MBAE does not address the issue with Firefox 58. But they say Firefox 59 fixes the issue for 'some people'. They are still investigating the issue. I uninstalled MBAE from my sacrificial laptop to troubleshoot the issue with Firefox. I won't reinstall it until I hear that the issue is fixed.

I assume you are running MBAM v3? What point version are you up to? What version of Windows? Has MBAM been relatively trouble free for you? I've read so many horror stories in their support forums . . .

Regular Contributor

@EG wrote:

FWIW, for futureproofing, personally, I would not invest in a DOCSIS 3 modem at this point with the new DOCSIS 3.1 spec already available in many areas. There are other benefits to having DOCSIS 3.1 besides gigabit speed capability.

Yes, I've seen your other posts about this.

I did a bit of research and the Motorola MB8600 seems to be the one I would get based on what I read. But I'm only on the 60Mbps Performance tier and this seems like way overkill for that.

Thoughts?

Expert

As stated, there are other benefits to be had with 3.1. You can Google 3.0 vs 3.1 for info.