Community Forum

Internet conncections

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Internet conncections

My wife has an opportunity to work from home for her employer. However, she must be on a dedicated connection and cannot work through our home network.  I have talked with comcast, and they do not allow 2 modems at one address.  I even offered to pay for another drop to the house for a second connection, but they said they cannot do that.  Can anyone help me get a secure (non-networked) connection and still have our home network available?

Problem Solver

edit

edit

Expert

Re: Internet connections

My wife has an opportunity to work from home for her employer. However, she must be on a dedicated connection and cannot work through our home network.  I have talked with comcast, and they do not allow 2 modems at one address.  I even offered to pay for another drop to the house for a second connection, but they said they cannot do that.  Can anyone help me get a secure (non-networked) connection and still have our home network available?

Would her company allow a VPN connection ? Have you tried to ask Comcast if they would allow a second business class connection ? This will cost more of course. How about a separate DSL or a wireless mobile 3/4G connection.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Internet connections

Thanks for the replies.  DSL in our area is slow, so I don't think that is a good option,.  What is VPN?  Also the wireless mobile 3/4 would be from cell phone providers, right? I might call verizon wireless and see what they have. 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Internet conncections

If her company is providing the opportunity to work remotely, but ar imposing restricctions on how she can connect, then they should be providing a list of approved methods that meet their security concerns. They would have to provide support for teleworkers, so it would be in their best interests to have a defined method that they can roll out to their employees and support easily.

Having individual teleworkers come up with their own solutions is not a good businesss model from either a manageability or security perspective.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Problem Solver

edit

edit

Silver Problem Solver

@the5marions wrote:

Sounds like you got ahold of a Technician rather than a Sales person.  This should be easily done.

The forum Admins have been notified and hopefully will reachout either this evening or tomorrow.

That said, you should talk with the employer IT folks and see if they mean a VPN (Virtual Private Network) which actually runs over the Local network but is encrypted and sepearate from the network and internet traffic.You could also ask if they are looking for a seperate line so that you will have backup capability.

Please post back with what you learn from the employer IT or HR folks and please monitor your thread here for response from Comcast.

Retired Administrator

To EG's point, we should be able to add a second commercial line. I've escalated this to the Regional office so that someone can look into this further and circle back to you tomorrow.

Just 'Dete'
Retired Help Forums Admin

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon