Community Forum

Internet Speed

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Internet Speed

Hey I have a question about my internet speed and my modem/router, called in ealier today to find out that I'm supposed to be receiving 60Mbps but am currently only able to get about 17-18 Mbps. Was wondering if there is anything I could do to remedy this issue? I have power cycles my modem as required with no sign o fpseed increase. The modem I have from Comcast currently is the Technicolor TC8305C. Thanks

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Internet Speed

Is this with a WiFi connection ? If so, for a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the gateway device with an ethernet cable get the same speed ?

Expert

Are you testing hardwired or via Wi-Fi? 

Start here. If you still need help, please post a screenshot of your signal levels and we'll be happy to help. 

I am a volunteer Expert/Moderator, not an employee.

Frequent Visitor

The speeds are on a desktop computer connected by ethernet directly to the Modem/Router combo, ca't seem to find the signal levels with this router. Most of the devices used in the household are hardware though, except a few phones.

Frequent Visitor

Is this the information you needed? It was the closest I could find on my modem with the website you provided, also here are the logs for today.

System Logs:Today

Time Priority Description

Thu Mar 01 16:36:34 2018 Warning (5) Unicast DSID PSN startup error

Thu Mar 01 16:36:03 2018 Notice (6) TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=88:f7:c7:63:d0:fa;CMTS-MAC=5c:83:8f:dc:53:95;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Firewall Logs:Today

Description Count Last Occurrence Target Source

DENY: Inbound or outbound access request 3505715 Thu Mar 01 19:52:36 2018 31.13.65.3:443 10.0.0.9:40872

Event Logs:Today

Time Priority ID Text Endpoint

2018-03-01 21:36:25 5-Information 2147483647 DHCP ERRORFFER;REQUESTING;Option 122.3 contains invalid FQDN [format error!]

Comcast Modem.png
Expert

Your signals look pretty good except you are only locked to two upstream channels. My feeling is that modem needs to be replaced, it was never really a great device and it's probably getting a little long in the tooth. You can swap it @ your local service center or if you like I can ask an employee to ship you a replacement.  

Frequent Visitor

Alrighty, been looking to buy a new one recently anyways, thank you for the help. Will report back if that fixes the issue.

Frequent Visitor

Purchased a new Arris Surfboard SB6183 today, came home and got it set up to work with my comcast account but am still receiving only 18mbps instead of the 60 mbps. Am I just out of luck with my service or is there anything else I can do? Attached a similar document for this modem showing signal strength and power.

Arris Modem.png
Diamond Problem Solver

Call 1-800-comcast and ask the rep to confirm that the modem's provisioning, and your account data in their database is correct and complete and that the correct bootfile for your subscribed to speed tier is being pushed to the modem.

Expert

@KennethM92 

I've asked a Comcast employee to take a look at your account. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

Official Employee

Hi KennethM92, I can assist reviewing your bootfile on my side.   Please send me a private message with your account information (your name, address and account number). 

Thank you

Official Employee

Hi KennethM92, thank you for working with us via private message and please let us know if you need assistance. 

Thank you