Community Forum

Internet Speed/Connectivity

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Internet Speed/Connectivity

Since we started with Xfinity we have had terrible connectivity issues. It takes about 5 minutes to load a browser. Streaming buffers every 2 minutes. Yet every time I check my speed on Xfinity (assuming the page will load) I'm told I'm getting 15 mbps+. Which is simply not true. I have reset my modem myself at least 10 times. I have called and have had them reset my modem at least 5 times. I have also chatted with people online and have them do troubleshooting at least 5 times. Every time the internet will start working again for about 30 minutes. The problem is that it works and then doesn't and then does and then doesn't and it goes back and forth so fast that it can't load anything. Our plan has 15Mbps. We had the same speed with our last provider and did not experience problems. We have tried having less devices connected but whether we have 1 device connected or 9 there isn't a noticeable difference. There is also no difference in device. It doesn't do well on mobile devices, PCs, lap tops or roku/dtv devices. So what is the problem and how can it be resolved?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Internet Speed/Connectivity

If you want to troubleshoot this yourself, please see Connection Troubleshooting Tips. If you still need help, please provide Information Requested for Connection-Related Posts.

If you are using Wifi it's best to switch to an Ethernet cable connection if possible while measuring speed and checking the reliability of your connection to Comcast.

If you can't find the problem or you'd rather have Comcast do the troubleshooting, call them at the phone number on your bill or 1-800-Comcast, or chat with them using the Internet Support option at https://support.xfinity.com/chat. If they can't fix the problem remotely, insist they send a tech out to identify the cause and correct it.

If the tech finds bad coax, splitters, amplifiers, or connections in your home (even if Comcast originally supplied them) you'll probably have to pay for the visit unless you have or sign up for their Service Protection Plan (https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/service-protection-plan, about $6/mo) and keep it for at least 60 days. If the trouble is due to a faulty Comcast modem, eMTA, gateway device, or anything outside your home, you shouldn't be charged.

Official Employee

Re: Internet Speed/Connectivity

Hello jumpvanilla, the links that (BruceW) shared are good places to start when troubleshooting your internet speeds and connection. I also ran some tests on your signal coming from the plant and I show there is nothing coming from the plant that is impacting your signal at this time, which means the problem could be coming from inside of your home or at the pole outside of your home. When was the last time you had a tech out to evaluate your equipment? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!