Community Forum

Intermittent internet loss - using Linksys E2000 router

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Intermittent internet loss - using Linksys E2000 router

Hi - I experience daily internet dropouts with a SB6120 Motorola modem and a Linksys E2000 router.  I seem to expereince a dropout when someone connects to the router wirelessly, the modem resets itself.  After htat access is stable.

I have tried to find ideas in all these messages, but there are too many to read.  Is there a problem with this configuration that would cause the modem to reset?  Can you please point me to router configuration steps that might help eliminate the resets? 

Problem Solver

Re: Intermittent internet loss - using Linksys E2000 router

First i would check to see if i had newest firmware by going to  http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/linksys/E2000  

Expert

Routers don't cause modems to re-boot spontaneously. You may have a connection quality issue. What do the modem's signal stats look like ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

@Parthos wrote:

Hi - I experience daily internet dropouts with a SB6120 Motorola modem and a Linksys E2000 router.  I seem to expereince a dropout when someone connects to the router wirelessly, the modem resets itself.  After htat access is stable.

I have tried to find ideas in all these messages, but there are too many to read.  Is there a problem with this configuration that would cause the modem to reset?  Can you please point me to router configuration steps that might help eliminate the resets? 

What is the indication that the Modem is Resetting?

Making a Wireless connection to a Router should not reset the modem  So we are interested in what you are interpreting as Modem Reboot/Reset

Here are the procedures to configure your Router and then connect to it.

How-to-Secure-a-Wireless-Router

How-to-Connect-to-a-Secured-Wireless-Router-Windows-Vista

How-to-Connect-to-a-Secured-Wireless-Router-Windows-XP

How-to-Connect-to-a-Secured-Wireless-Router-Mac-OS-X

How-to-Connect-to-a-Secured-Wireless-Router-iPhone-iPod-Touch

Frequent Visitor

Hi, thank you all for your fast responses.  First, the indication the modem is resetting is.. the model is resetting.  By that I mean: in a typical day, the connection operates fine with all the correct modem lights lit. Then suddenly all the lights, except the power light, turn off.  Internet connection is lost.  Then one by one the lights cycle back on until they are lit correctly.  Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 cycles for the connection to get stable within 5-6 minutes.  Note the modem resets itself;  I do nothing except watch in frustration.  (By the way I did repalce the modem, and the same things happen, and yes the modem is correctly identified with Xfinity tech support when I bought it and installed it). 

Then I everything will be stable a day or two.  But it does and happen again, 5-6 times each week.  The computer doesn't have to be on; I'll see this happen spontaneoulsy when nothing is on at all, execpt the router of course.

Second, I asked about the router because I "seem" to experience this most often when I connect via WiFi to the router.  But that's not a scientific experiment.  I read a post elsewhere that a router could cause a modem to reset, but I prefer to believe the reply on this thread that isn't possible.

What else can I tell you?

Expert

How 'bout those signal stat figures ?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Silver Problem Solver

In order to capture your modem stats:

Open your browser (Internet Explorer or Firefox etc.)
Type the Modem Address in the Address Bar. (192.168.100.1) and hit Enter.
Navigate to the Signals Page
Highlight the information . Hold Left Mouse button down and drag the mouse across the information.
Right Click the Highlighted information
Left Click "Copy" (This will copy the info into the Computer Clipboard)
Then create another Reply here in your thread and right click in the thread and then left click on Paste

Frequent Visitor

hi - Here are the modem stats.  I confess: I cheated - I have these also posted on the Connectivty and Modem Help forum.  But, here they are:

Modem is: Motorola SURFboard eXtreme model #SB6120

Downstream  Bonding Channel Value

Channel ID                               209                  210                   211                 212  

Frequency                    691750000 Hz  697750000 Hz  703750000 Hz  709750000 Hz 

Signal to Noise Ratio                38 dB              38 dB              38 dB              38 dB 

Downstream Modulation QAM256                  QAM256         QAM256         QAM256 

Power                                      13 dBmV          12 dBmV        12 dBmV   11 dBmV  

Upstream  Bonding Channel Value

Channel ID 3  

Frequency 30400000 Hz 

Ranging Service ID 4798 

Symbol Rate 5.120 Msym/sec 

Power Level 37 dBmV 

Upstream Modulation [3] QPSK

[3] 64QAM

Ranging Status  Success 

Signal Stats (Codewords) Bonding Channel Value

Channel ID                               209                 210                  211      212  

Total Unerrored Codewords 1051342408  1051341601  1051342716  1051342289 

Total Correctable Codewords 41                      192      15                   9 

Total Uncorrectable Codewords 1520              2261                 1442  1491 

Expert

OP's other thread is here;

http://forums.comcast.net/t5/Connectivity-and-Modem-Help/Intermittent-internet-access-lost-Modem-res...

@ Parthos. Please don't post a concern in multiple forums. I'm locking this thread to avoid any further confusion.