Community Forum

Intermittent connection loss

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Intermittent connection loss

Hello, I'm experiencing complete service disruption for 1-2 seconds every 15 or so seconds, and the packet loss is preventing some internet dependent programs from running.  I use a wired connection, and have reset the modem several times, so I know that isn't the issue.  I've swapped cables, and switched to a wifi connection to make sure the ethernet cord wasn't the cause of the issue to no avail.  This isn't a constant problem, as my connection will remain completely stable  for days at a time, but it always seems to cut in and out when I need it, or at the very least when I intend to use both the speed and stability I pay for. A technician is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, but there is a fairly decent chance the problem won't be occuring then, and nothing will be solved.

Contributor

Re: Intermittent connection loss

Is it only occuring on 1 device?

New Poster

Just attached another device via wifi, and yes it's happening on both.

Contributor

Could be the gateway, ask the technician to swap it if they don't see any problems with the signal.

Expert

jmcgauley wrote:

Hello, I'm experiencing complete service disruption for 1-2 seconds every 15 or so seconds, and the packet loss is preventing some internet dependent programs from running.  I use a wired connection, and have reset the modem several times, so I know that isn't the issue.  I've swapped cables, and switched to a wifi connection to make sure the ethernet cord wasn't the cause of the issue to no avail.  This isn't a constant problem, as my connection will remain completely stable  for days at a time, but it always seems to cut in and out when I need it, or at the very least when I intend to use both the speed and stability I pay for. A technician is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, but there is a fairly decent chance the problem won't be occuring then, and nothing will be solved.

Start with the modem's signal stats. Perhaps they already are, or they are close to being out of spec and intermittently they go completely of spec. Try getting them here http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

What is the exact make and model number of the modem ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Unfortunately when I try to use either of those pathways to access the modem/router's interface neither work.  I've tried in both chrome and MS edge, and I've swapped between wired and wireless, and cannot access either address.

New Poster

the model is dpc3941T and it appears the make is technicolor

Expert

Have you tried powercycling / re-starting the 3941 ?

I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

many times

Expert

O/k you can call in to a customer service rep and ask for those requested figures.

New Poster

Thanks to both of you for your assistance.  As it turns out, the modem was indeed faulty.  The replacement allows me to access the gateway, and maintains a constant connection.  Thankfully the problem was visible when the technician arrived.

Expert

For curiosity, could you post those requested signal stats anyway please ?