Community Forum

Installed 1 gig service today. 2.4g slow, 5g decent.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Installed 1 gig service today. 2.4g slow, 5g decent.

Hi,

I had a tech come out this AM to installed the new xfi modem and 1g service tier. All filters are in place, few changes and service levels look great as per the tech.

However, aside for good upload speeds on either frequecy. ~45-50up.

1) 2.4g download = ~80/mbps on mobile, pad, imac etc.

2) 5g download = 400-700 depending fluctuates. 

my 150m service saw both 2.4/5g perform equally at around 150mbps. And this is being in the same room/area as the modem. Feels as if the 2.4 just caps off and done. Have done traditional tricks such as restarts etc. etc.

Can you guys offer me guidence. Of if a tech in here can pm me to have a look at their end.  

Expert

Re: Installed 1 gig service today. 2.4g slow, 5g decent.

For a test, what speed does a computer hardwired directly to the router / gateway device with an ethernet cable get ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Just curious, is there any reason why you would want to connect your iMac, or other mobile devices to the 2.4 GHz band? That's an older, slower band that's really more suited for stability than speed, plus it's more subject to interference from things like cordless phones, microwaves, and Bluetooth devices. My iPad is connected via the 5 GHz band and it typically gets ~400 Mbps down, and my iMac gets ~700 Mbps down when on wireless (it's almost always on Ethernet and gets the full 940 Mbps speed). 

The only tihng I can think of is to try setting the 2.4 GHz channel to 1, 6, or 11, if you can. 

The Experts are regular customers who volunteer their time helping other customers on the Forums and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

OP. My question ?

I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Frequent Visitor

I have not tried it yet. Need to find an ethernet cable. its been a while since i directly connected.

Frequent Visitor

I have many devices that are not 5g ready. and are on the 2.4g. Im not too concerned about 5g speeds. its the 2.4 with this new modem which have dropped from 180ish to 60-80mbps. 

Expert

"I have not tried it yet. Need to find an ethernet cable. its been a while since i directly connected."

No prob.