Community Forum

IS anyone getting anywhere close to 1 Gig service?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

IS anyone getting anywhere close to 1 Gig service?

I upgraded to a1 Gig internet service this week but get only about 250 mbps when my PC is connected direclty to the Comcast modem. I do have a 1 gig card on my PC.  I get about 125 mbps on wireless connections. Comcast technicians have completed four service calls with no improvement what so ever (includes a call when the tech said his tools were down).  After today's service call,  the tech told me that the modem is delivering ~900 mbps on his testing device and he cant help me. He said he does not have a PC with a 1 gig card so hsi PC could be used as a test for comparison purposes. I get 250 mbps. Any suggstions? Switch to FIOS?

Expert

Re: IS anyone getting anywhere close to 1 Gig service?

The technician's testing device is just a little handheld computer. If it's seeing the proper speeds, it's an indication that it isn't a signal-related issue. A few things to try:

• Briefly disable your anti-virus/firewall and test speeds.
  • Check your speeds with a secondary device to see if you get similar results.
  • Try renting a modem from Comcast temporarily. 

I am not an employee.
Silver Problem Solver

Expert

What make and model modem do you have (and any other networking equipment such as routers and switches) ? 

The Experts are regular customers who volunteer their time helping other customers on the Forums and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

I find it funny their little device can get the speed over wifi but if you take the device off and connect directly, you can't get anywhere near the same speeds. I have the same issue. If he can get 940 Mb/s on his device over wifi, I should get the same speed by removing his device and using the Comcast gateway. But you never can.
Expert

@Bosty wrote:
I find it funny their little device can get the speed over wifi but if you take the device off and connect directly, you can't get anywhere near the same speeds. I have the same issue. If he can get 940 Mb/s on his device over wifi, I should get the same speed by removing his device and using the Comcast gateway. But you never can.

Nobody is claiming 940 Mbps over WiFi. 

And if lots and lots of people - like me -  can get 940 Mbps on their XB6 Comcast gateways, and even their own personal modems, then there isn't any overriding speed issue with the gateways or the modems. 

If you have issues with your connection, start here, and if you still need help, start a new thread with the information requested in this post.

The Experts are regular customers who volunteer their time helping other customers on the Forums and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@Bosty wrote:
Their device the XMT is connected to your gateway over Ethernet and connects to their iPhone wirelessly to tell them the speed it is reading.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.