Community Forum

IPv6 Network Prefix assigned to router

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

IPv6 Network Prefix assigned to router

I have noticed over the last few months after the IPv6 deployment in my area, that the Comcast network change the Network Prefix assigned to my router.  Is there a reason it has to change so frequently?  I'm not referring to the host's generation of temporary addresses, I'm referring to the router being assigned different network prefixes by the Comcast network for use within my own local network.

Is there any hope that Comcast will allocate network prefixes with a much longer lifetime than they do now?  

Authorized Vendor

Re: IPv6 Network Prefix assigned to router

How much has it changed?  Do you know from what to what?  You can PM me the info as well.

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
Regular Visitor

What should the IPv6 prefix delegation lifetime expectaion be? My assigned prefix seems to change every few days.

Authorized Vendor

That really doesnt sound right, I have the same prefix since early 2011..  I have checked my 3 test devices and they all have the same prefix, I have been monitoring it.  

As for the lease I do believe it is about a week, but I will check on this.

@Mokuso wrote:

What should the IPv6 prefix delegation lifetime expectaion be? My assigned prefix seems to change every few days.

Send me a PM with your cable modem MAC address so I can look at this.

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..