Community Forum

IPV6 DHCP-PD hints with Xfinity working?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Contributor

IPV6 DHCP-PD hints with Xfinity working?

Hi,

Have done a few experiments to get IPV6 prefixes from Comcast for my internal network using DHCP-PD.

1 - I noticed that if I send a hint requesting a /60, I only get a /64.  However, if I send a hint for /56, I get the /60.  Is this by design?

2 - I noticed that if I give a hint for the for /60 prefix... i.e. 2601:XXX:XXXX:XXX0::/60 (X replaces the real numbers for privacy here), it's fully ignored.  I would like to get the prefixes back that I normally use, but they change on every reboot of my router.  Does Xfinity ignore my prefix request?  It kind of doesn't make sense for me to use internal IPV6 /64s if I can't somewhat get some stability in getting my prefixes back as not everything internally can use SLAAC.

3 - Because of #2 above, I noticed that if my router reboots and it gets a new set of IPV6 prefixes, I am forced to reboot my modem as it won't pass the traffic unless I do that.  This needs to happen everytime.  Is this ALSO by design?  I don't need to do this for IPv4.

Thanks in advance for some answers :-)

Contributor

Re: IPV6 DHCP-PD hints with Xfinity working?

I saw a post on Reddit where John Brzozowski (ComcastJohn - the IP6 guy at Comcast) stated that if you want a /60, request a /56:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ipv6/comments/5o5re1/tip_for_home_comcast_ipv6_with_cisco_asa_suppress/

He stated:

Regarding the /60 it sounds like your cable modem is operating as a bridge and your ASA is the router requesting IPv6 from Comcast. Is this accurate? If yes, and your ASA previously requested and received the default prefix length (/64) our DHCP infrastructure will continue to renew that unless certain conditions are met. A quick fix you can try is

* Make sure your hint is configured to be a /56
    * Reset or change your DUID
    * Reboot the ASA or restart the DHCPv6 client process

NOTE - this will result in a delegated prefix change

PS - I lead IPv6 at Comcast Smiley Wink

If this indeed true?  I need to ask for a /56 to get a /60?  Is this a workaround to prevent the ability to ask for a particular address prefix since asking for a /60 will never result in a /60?