Community Forum

I need 2 modems

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Highlighted
New Poster

I need 2 modems

We have a house with adult children living with us. Without any wisecracks anout our situation, can someone tell me if we can have our own modems, and, if so, how? That is, my kids do not want to be on a network with us.
Expert

Re: I need 2 modems

Many systems will not allow two modems to be used at one address. It's best to call in to see what the local policy is. Even if they do allow it you will need to pay for two accounts (twice what you are paying for HSI now). 

You could use a WiFi router that has a "guest network" feature and put them on that one. Are you currently using a Comcast supplied gateway device ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Hi @J_RXMan

Only one modem per account is permitted. Some areas allow multiple IP addresses which would allow you to have two routers. This would give you separate networks. 

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hi J_RXMan, thank you for reaching out and like mentioned above this is usually not allowed in the majority of our systems but I can review just to make sure. Could you please send me a private message with your full name and phone number.

Thank you 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Correct me if I am wrong, but f it is going to be two cable modems for internet only, then the second cable modem would need a second account. The only time you'd see 2 cable modems is if one is dedicated to phone services and the other modem is internet only.

This information is garnered from personal experience only.

Official Employee

Hi Rhavvyn, you are correct that is how modems and internet services are usually split.

Thank you 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.