Community Forum

How to check if SB6141 config is properly upgraded?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

How to check if SB6141 config is properly upgraded?

Hi All,

I've owned an SB6141 for about 3 years now with few issues (desktop wired to Netgear R7000).  I recently upgraded from Performance Pro 150/5 to Blast! Pro 250/10.  After reading these boards I have of course verified that an 8x4 modem like mine is usually hard pressed to reach the maximum download speed of my plan.  I've also read that sometimes Comcast takes a while to reconfigure the modem for a new plan.  The modem logs have a very small window where you can discover if you've received the new config and I noticed that the Help tab contains modem-specific details but not date of last config update.  Right now, I'm achieving about 120/5 which is about the same as my previous plan (tested with testmy.net and speedtest.net to SF).  I don't mind if I can only get ~200 down before I get a new modem but I really was hoping to get that doubling of upload speed because I do a lot of backups.  My two questions are:  how do I check that my modem has been properly reconfigured and also, how can I know that it has the right firmware for the job?  Any help is much appreciated.  Modem info:

Model Name: SB6141
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.16-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.18m3
Hardware Version: 7.0
Serial Number: ****
Firmware Build Time: Feb 16 2016 11:28:04

Silver Problem Solver

Re: How to check if SB6141 config is properly upgraded?

It's the boot/config file you need, not the firmware. Try powercycling the modem. You could call in ask them to check your account and get them to push the correct boot/config file for Blast Pro 250.

Could be that the device is not on the approved list for Blast Pro 250 so they may not have a boot file for it. I have seen a couple of reports of people getting upgraded with that modem, but as you know, you may not get the full overprovisioned speed with it.

Good Luck !

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/

Expert

I don't think they can provision your modem for a speed tier beyond its capabilities. Smiley Sad So either upgrade the modem or save yourself some $ and go back to your old speed tier. 

I am not an employee.
Expert

As has been stated, the 6141 is not approved for the 250 speed tier;

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/arris-sb6141-336

It will default to using a Performance Pro 100/5 boot file instead.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

OK, thanks all!  I managed to snag a new CM500 on Amazon for $47.  It seems that 32x8 DOCSIS 3.1 modems are overpriced for a standard that was released in Oct '13 with products coming to market in Q4 2016.  I guess it's because the majority of Internet users don't have high level plans yet so there is lower demand.

Last question about the firmware though:  there's really been nothing to improve for the modem since early 2016, or is it just that Comcast doesn't bother, or both?