Community Forum

How much data does it take to stream a HD movie?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

How much data does it take to stream a HD movie?

Good morning,

I'm trying to track my data usage so the ISP police don't get mad.  I check what Comcast says is a resonable average usage, 2 - 4 Gig per month.  Which allows movie streaming emails etc.

However when I check the figures i get are that to stream one HD 2 hour movie is 2 to 5 gig. So being able to receive email, surf and stream several HS movies a month seems to be way over the average Comcast says it should be.

Somehow that doesn't make sense.  I have been checking my usage and am in the 70's gig so far this month with only two streamed movies. 

Don't get where the usage is from unless my wife is burning the wires with her IPAD.

Confused

Silver Problem Solver

Re: How much data does it take to stream a HD movie?

It does seem a bit high for just the two of you, I'm at about 80 right now, which includes a couple of youngsters who stream Netflix everyday.

I wouldn't worry too much, even if you doubled that it wouldn't be anywhere near the old limit of 250GB a month...(which is suspended right now). They are looking at a new limit of 300GB.

Worth checking out your wireless to make sure it's secure...

Just to add here's Netflix usage:

http://support.netflix.com/en/node/87

Problem Solver

It's more like 2-4 Gb per day is normal.

From Netflix:

There are 3 settings to choose from:

• Good quality (uses up to 0.3 GB per hour)
  • Better quality (uses up to 0.7 GB per hour)
  • Best quality (uses up to 1 GB per hour, or up to 2.3 GB per hour if watching HD)
Regular Visitor

I agree.  But when you look at what comcast says is "average" use by the "majority" of its users it says:

While our XFINITY Internet customers had the freedom to use as much as 250 GB per month, their median monthly data usage is currently only 10 to 12 GB per month (or four percent of the allowance) and the allowance impacts just a very small number of customers.

With 12 gig a month you aren't really going to much streaming or gameplaying. 

Thanks

Regular Visitor

Thanks, I'll double check my wireless.

Bronze Problem Solver

I think those numbers are outdated from comcast the truth of the matter is with all the improvments in tech and all these companys that have hd video to stream not only to computers but tv's as well i would think one could hit the data cap rather quickly. I really believe comcast uses data caps so we as customers are forced to by there tv services instead of getting all are tv and movies from the internet. I for one dont have any of there tv services and no matter what will never get them from comcast again until they charge a rate that is worth what im getting instead of reruns and commercials. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck !!

Expert

@mdj453 wrote:

FWIW, actually, online "gameplaying" is not bandwidth intensive. The downloading of gaming applications is more so.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Problem Solver

@EG wrote:

@mdj453 wrote:

FWIW, actually, online "gameplaying" is not bandwidth intensive. The downloading of gaming applications is more so.

Right you are. My 3 sons game on 3 separate Xboxes every day for hours & I still only average about 160GB per month. Most of my usage comes from streaming Netflix every night.

Regular Contributor

You shouldn't be concerned with your data usage. You are fine. There is currently not a limit on data usage like your cell phone company.

Expert

@jac509 wrote:

You shouldn't be concerned with your data usage. You are fine. There is currently not a limit on data usage like your cell phone company.

FWIW, there is a cap of 300 GB in the Nashville, Tenn. and the Tuscon, AZ. trial areas.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

well you gotta be hosting a website or torrenting like a beast to reach that limit. The above average person is not gonna reach that.

Silver Problem Solver

Actually, with a large family all streaming Netflix or HD movies on there own devices, it's not so difficult to get there....