Community Forum

How about a free increase in upload for a change?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

How about a free increase in upload for a change?

Comcast has increased the download speeds 17 times in the past 17 years, how about we get a free increase in upload speed for once? Even if it's only another 1Mbps more than what we have already have. This could really help those who like to stream to platforms such as Twitch. I would rather reduce my 150Mbps download speed to 100 and boost my upload from 5Mbps to 10. Or give us the option to get more download OR more upload.

Expert

Re: How about a free increase in upload for a change?

FWIW, the current upstream / return path bandwidth spectrum allocation on DOCSIS is physically limited. It's the nature of the beast. This why there isn't as much flexibility with offering faster upload speeds compared to the download.

Here is an informative article about the future for the upstream bandwidth capability for DOCSIS based systems;

http://www.multichannel.com/news/distribution/comcast-eyes-upstream-expansion-it-pulls-fiber-deeper/...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

@darcsyde wrote:

Comcast has increased the download speeds 17 times in the past 17 years, how about we get a free increase in upload speed for once? Even if it's only another 1Mbps more than what we have already have. This could really help those who like to stream to platforms such as Twitch. I would rather reduce my 150Mbps download speed to 100 and boost my upload from 5Mbps to 10. Or give us the option to get more download OR more upload.

The Gigabit tier is capable of 1000 Mbps download and 35 Mbps upload. I upgraded to that tier in no small part due to the increase in upload speeds, since I have a lot of online backups that need to be timely. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

darcsyde -- As mentioned, you can always upgrade, but of course it wouldn't free. As EG said, it's pretty limited. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.