Community Forum

Hotspot Settings Are Unavaible. Your device doesnt support public hotspots.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Hotspot Settings Are Unavaible. Your device doesnt support public hotspots.

I am using my own Netgear modem. Under my network settings I have xfinitywifi (open)  and one that has "Hidden Network (open)"  When I go to my online account to turn off the xfinitywifi it says "Hotspot Settings Are Unavaible. Your device doesnt support public hotspots."
Well if it doesnt support it why is it in the list of available networks?? Also please help me find out what (Hidden Network) is since it is also listed as "OPEN"

Thanks

Valued Contributor

Re: Hotspot Settings Are Unavaible. Your device doesnt support public hotspots.

Since you are using an owned Netgear modem, your device is not capable of having the XFINITY WiFi Hotspot. That is a feature provided with Comcast rental modems. If you are seeing xfinitywifi and hidden network, that could mean that someone living near you has a rental modem that is broadcasting the signal as well as having another wireless network hidden. 

Disable WiFi Home Hotspot

"In addition to your private WiFi network, select Comcast-provided wireless gateways broadcast a public hotspot called xfinitywifi that extends the XFINITY WiFi network into your home, allowing any XFINITY Internet subscriber to connect to it there."

-TheTechGuy007

Expert

Re: Hotspot Settings Are Unavaible. Your device doesnt support public hotspots.

Any Wifi adapter / client can see any WiFi broadcasts / hotspots public or private whether or not you are using a Comcast supplied gateway device. You are probably seeing a neighbor's or a local strand mounted, or commercial business's hotspot. The "hidden" network is for the Comcast home security systems.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!