Community Forum

High ping spikes affecting online gaming

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

High ping spikes affecting online gaming

Over the past few months I have been having trouble with online gaming due to random spikes in ping.  For the most part my internet has been fine and a simple line test or ping test will show good results because I am only having momentary spikes that may happen a few to several times an hour.  So basically I can connect to and play a game just fine and it will run smoothly but I will be interuppted by a few seconds of lag several times an hour.  Eventually the game will boot me for lagging too many times.

This is a very difficult problem to explain to customer support because my signal looks fine, my interent works fine for browsing, and as far as customer support is concerned because I have working internet I have no problem.

The link below shows my ping plot graph.  As you can see my average ping is 43ms which is perfectly acceptable.  The problem is that I get random spikes that are over 2000ms as you can see on the graph.

How can I get in touch with someone who understands the difficulites I am having and has the knowledge and expertise to help me find a solution?  Thank you.

Ping Plot Graph Link

Regular Contributor

Re: High ping spikes affecting online gaming

Finally!!! I am having the EXACT same issue. I can stream Netflix, I can surf, I can do pretty much anything just fine EXCEPT gaming. 

I assume that you live in Maryland (from your username?) if so, I am in Salisbury, MD. I play League of Legends quite a bit and I can watch my latency go from 88 and spike to 300+ for a few seconds and then drop back down. Like you said its enough to get you booted from games. 

My signals are all fine just like you said. If I run Pingtest.net sometimes I'll get an A rating sometimes a D. When I run SpeedTest, I'll get 25/4 sometimes, and other times 16/0.8.

I have a tech coming to the house Friday, but I bet he'll find nothing wrong... I think there is an issue further up the line than just what is going on here locally.

Just curious, but what modem do you have?

Frequent Visitor

Yep I am in Bel Air and it does seem like we have the exact same issue.  The bigger problem we both have is getting someone to actually understand our issue so it can be fixed.  I agree with you 100%.  I think the problem is further up the line and not something with our personal equipment or setup.  I have a uBee router, I think it's pretty new.  Please respond back and let me know what the tech finds although I'm pretty sure you are right and he will find absolutely nothing wrong.  I know how that goes.  So frustrated...

Regular Contributor

I just bought a Cisco dpc3008 and had no issues for about a month. Now its just constantly happening all day long for seconds or minutes at a time. Doesn't affect Netflix or Youtube due to buffering, but gaming is almost impossible at times.

I also just noticed that I have a 71.xxx.xxx.x IP address, where before I always had 69.xxx, I'm not sure why.

But, when I run a trace the 3rd hop is to 71.200.104.1 and I get 25% packet loss and an average 398 ms, the next hop is to salisbury.md.bad.comcast (68.85.134.133) 280 ms average. 

So yeah... its not on my end... its the equipment at the 3rd hop. 

Frequent Visitor

Yeah I never had any issues until December of last year.  I just can't seem to get anyone from comcast to do anything except tell me to reset my router while they send a new signal.  Hopefully the tech that comes to your house will at least be knowledgeable enough to diagnose the problem.

Frequent Visitor

I live in Mobile, AL and also started getting these problems in December of last year. I lose connection to PvP.net(league of legends) a dozen times during the day, the packet loss is blatant.

You should head over to DSL reports and do a line quality test.

http://www.dslreports.com/linequality

Shouldn't be a surprise seeing that you have at least 2-5% packet loss, which is completely unacceptable.

Here are some recent results from random Comcast users, you will see that almost every one of them have the same issues with the same hops.

http://www.dslreports.com/pingtest/nil?dnsdom=comcast.net&p=1

Unfortunatly cable providers have no one over them ensuring they provide a quality service, so basically you get what you get until Google Fiber expands.

New Poster

I've been having the exact same problems.  By chance is it also effecting you when you are watching a stream?  During one of the spikes try opening a twitch stream and seeing if it's all choppy.

The spikes last anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes,  It stops my downloads, any streams i'm watching, and I go up to 2000ms in games.  When there isn't a spike the internet is very good.

I also live in Maryland, and it started happening in December for me as well.  Prior to december there was no problem at all.  How do we even try to fix this problem?  Comcast support is so discouraging, and there are no other option is Maryland right?

Frequent Visitor

I've hit close to 3000ms from my east coast PA residence to west coast servers in numerous games. I pay close to $130 a month and I'm having the same issues you folks are. 

Here's the problem:

Comcast frequently renege on their pledge and they don't care about their customers. Don't you think it a bit funny that the only people having these issues are people who play games, stream games, or watch the streaming of games? I'm about to drop Comcast like a bad habit and if they think they're getting paid then their higher then the ping I get while using their service. I told them over a month ago that when I get no service they get no payment. What did I get? 1 Lousy $20 credit. How long has this been going on? Since October/November.

As a Twitch director it's been impossible to keep my stream live because of the numerous disconnects per hour. I urge, no, I beg of you. Drop Comcast if you have the option. I am willing to pay double or triple what I pay to them for service that works. Many of my viewers have already dropped Scamcast as well.

I know all too well they know exactly what the issue is. They're illegally targeting gamers and they know it. All of this despite the fact that many of our internet tiers are marketed to, you guessed it, gamers!

Frequent Visitor

I also think its funny how these "support forums" exist but nobody actually receives any help.  My problem has gotten to the point where gaming is pretty much impossible.  What bugs me the most is that everything was fine for the past five years and now all of the sudden I ping over 2000ms on a regular basis.  Then when you try to explain the problem they treat you like you are a moron but for $15 extra you can subsribe to higher level technical service.  Clearly there is a reason that Comcast is the #2 most hated company in America.

Luckily I do live in an area where FiOS is avaliable so I will be looking into getting that tomorrow.  As much as I dislike some of Verizon's advertising and billing practices, at least their service does what they promise and I literally can't wait for them to get here.  Even if they have to dig a 50 foot deep crater in my front lawn as Comcast would have you believe, it will be so worth it if I never have to deal with Comcast again.

Frequent Visitor

I'd rather Verizon dig a 50 foot ditch in my front lawn and be forced to live in it than deal with one more reject in Comcast's customer support department. I've spent countless hours on the phones with those morons who do nothing but tell you to restart your modem and offer to charge you to speak with some other high school flunkies in their wannabe Geek Squad. I am going to be making Comcast and their practices the focus of my broadcasts from here on out and I'll be sure to contact my attorney to go over the agreement I signed when this horrible service was installed. 5+ months now of service that isn't useable and yet they still take my money. It ends NOW! In my next televised appearance I'll be sure to spread this as well.

Frequent Visitor

Yes sir, I am in exactly the same boat you are in.  Probably with about ten million other people as well.  And unfortunately that boat is probably called the Carnival Triumph.  If I had a dollar for every time I've been told to restart my modem, I could probably pay a ridiculous monthly Comcast bill with it.  And nothing makes you want to throw your phone through a window more than when they tell you they might help you for an extra charge.  Makes me angry just typing it.  I truly feel bad for people who live in an area where Comcast is the only option.

Frequent Visitor

In my area we have 3 main choices. Private phone company dial-up, Verizon DSL, and Comcast. I already have a DSL line in my home but I use my Extreme 105 to stream. Currently, and for the last 5 months, I really haven't been able to stream much. If I can't stream the way I want I might as well ditch the Comcast anyway. I have dealt with back alley criminals that had better business practices. In 2013 this is honestly the most disgusting service I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

Frequent Visitor

Have you tried restarting your modem? 

Frequent Visitor

I actually have the words lag, Comcast, modem, restart, and internet censored/banned in my channel chat. I have considered paying my viewers to switch to other ISP if they can prove they were once Comcast customers.

Regular Contributor

Comcast is my only option. The only other choice I would have is satellite. 

I am having the same issue as described above. 

Frequent Visitor

My ping plots are so bad now that they would be laughable if I wasn't suffering as a result.  2000+ms ping spikes and packet loss all over the place to google.com.  Comcast should advertise these stats on some of their "Xfinity" commercials.

Ping Plot Graph Link

New Poster

Found you are having the same issue I was able to change servers before but now I cannot I am getting 25-29ms ping my speed are great for the area I'm in but the ping is terrible the area I'm in they has not upgraded the internet service so Im able to get 50gb download speed so the best I can get is 35down and 4.5 up I play online and was able to switch servers by resetting the router or releasing and renewing server but now not  to get a 5ms ping. I contacted customer service and they told me that since I had better down and upload speed that nothing wrong with my service. I pay extra $10 a month for the package I have to get better speed and Ping is a part of my speed and I need it to be better Download and upload are important but for gaming ping IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING but comcast mentally challange people dont agree and no explanation as to why I can't change servers if I can't change servers then I can't play online and if I can't play online then I dont need comcast INTERNET they forget we all have internet on our phones