Community Forum

High Ping when connecting to servers. Traffic seems to be routed poorly. Tracert included.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Re: High Ping when connecting to servers. Traffic seems to be routed poorly. Tracert included.

Ping is still poor today. IP is the same, as are the tracerts.

I'll start calling and escalating the issue soon.

Frequent Visitor

Re: High Ping when connecting to servers. Traffic seems to be routed poorly. Tracert included.

Pattern was broken today, second day in a row with poor routing and bad ping. IP is the same.

Again, if there is some service I can pay for to keep my gigabit speeds and (the fact that it is not included is a little silly) STAY on a good routing table. I will pay the extra for it. This is disheartening and extremely disappointing considering how much I pay for it. Not being able to enjoy games online despite paying for next to the best possible service is not acceptable. The service is 3 times as fast as service advertised as "great for multiplayer gaming" yet the fact that I'm routed in some cases across the USA to connect to WEST servers when I'm in the EAST is unacceptable plain and simple. In some games like Overwatch, Blizzard will see that my connection is from the East Coast, and still put me on East Coast servers regardless of if my ping is better to those servers or not. This nets me playing games with 110+ ping because the traffic goes across the US twice. The frustrating part is that now that I know that I CAN be routed appropriately under some odd circumstances, I don't know how to maintain it and losing it feels even worse.

NOTE: The routing when (again, it's not solved anymore) my issue was SOLVED included routing me through 68.85.202.117 (ae-10-ar01.timberlanerd.fl.tallah.comcast.net) hope that helps at all. Example comparison below.

TimbRd1.PNGGoogle.comTimbRd2.PNGGoogle.com at 1 AM EST the next day.

Another set of tracerts from today. Still looking for solutions. Please read the captions of the attached photos.

511googDNS1.PNGGoogle DNS. Near 30 when it could be a possible 14.511google1.PNGGoogle.com, over 50 when it could be 15.511CSGOeast1.PNGCSGO East servers. Over 50 ping minimum.511CSGOwest1.PNGCSGO West servers. Averaging almost the same as to the East. How is routing like this cheaper?511BLIZeast1.PNGBlizzards East/Central OW servers. It routes to TX then to CA. 90+ Ping.511CSGOwest1.PNGBlizzard West OW servers. Avg 60 ping. 30 less than connecting to the East/Central server.511hirez1.PNGHiRez/Smite. Over 50 when I have recorded it averaging below 17 before in a previous post.

Frequent Visitor

Last daily update. Ping and routing are still bad. Pictures included. Will be back tomorrow.

510googDNS.PNGGoogle DNS. 30 is unreasonable for this.510google.PNGGoogle.com

Frequent Visitor

Ping/tracerts still poor. Same results as in last post. Maybe someone is seeing the post/bumps and putting my IP into a routing table to force traffic through the quicker route? If so, maybe my IP is changing and taking me off the routing table. I'll keep tabs on my public IP from now on to gauge if that could be the issue. No clue why my public IP would change this often in the course of several days. IF that's really what's happening. Let's see if anything changes. Keeping an eye on my public IP + tracerts from now on.

So far:
5/7 - good routing
5/8 - bad routing
5/9 - good routing
5/10 - bad routing
Frequent Visitor

Its back to bad again. At this point i'm doing this for documentation to try to find out the cause and maybe have some light shed on the matter.

More photos attached as always.

59csgo2.PNGcsgo east59google2.PNGgoogle.com59hirez2.PNGhirez/smite

Frequent Visitor

The ping is back to normal levels again! It's in a decent place and the routing makes sense! The nervewracking part is wondering when it's going to switch back again and hoping it stays this way. 

I've attached photos of the NEW tracerts that have the improved ping.

59csgo.PNGCSGO East Servers, from 50 to 15 ping!59google.PNGGoogle, 50+ to 17 ping!59hirez.PNGHi-Rez studio's or SMITE, 50+ to 15 ping!

Frequent Visitor

Honestly. I wish I had recorded the results of yesterday's tracerts. They were all so much better. Today they're back to being poor. What changed? Is there anything I can do to make it permanently be like it was yesterday?

Frequent Visitor

It was fixed all day yesterday. It's back up today. Is there an optional service I can pay for to be on the "fast lane" with better ping and improved traffic routing? It was a godsend being able to play everything with actually reasonable ping. My tracert to google yesterday was 17 ping, it's back up to 50+ today. Smite ping back up to 100+

Frequent Visitor

High Ping when connecting to servers. Traffic seems to be routed poorly. Tracert included.

I recently subscribed to Comcast's Xfinity here in Panama City, FL because the speeds seemed to be good. I didn't take into account the ping and overall latency of the networks before subscribing.

I have done numerous tracert tests on the current comcast network I'm on, and on the network I previously used which was Consolidated Communication (formerly fairpoint) in Blountstown, FL. Fairpoint was a joke to everyone in the town because it was DSL and had lots of issues consistency wise. However the average ping is about HALF of that of Comcast, and it's less than 60 miles away.

The issues 100% come from an issue in routing. I understand that comcast goes the "cheapest" route instead of the most efficent. However some of these tests don't even make sense. There are comcast servers in Marietta, GA. However it still jumps from Tallahassee to TX, then to Marietta.

I have included a good few test comparisons using many different game services and google.com. These comparisons are between Comcast and Consolidated Communications. A titan of a cable company vs a small dsl oriented company.

Below are some comparisons between the two ISPs and their tracert tests. In almost every situation my ping is BETTER to west coast servers than to east coast servers. This is nonsense, though I'm no expert. I'm sure this will all get explained away somehow. I would prefer a solution, though. Please read the captions.

ConCom_BlizUSC_1.PNGConsolidated Communications.This tracert is to the US Central Overwatch servers. Notice how it goes straight to atlanta into the Blizzard servers.Xfin_BlizUSC_1.PNGComcast. Notice how this tracert goes to LOS ANGELES to get to the same destination.ConCom_CSGOAtl_1.PNGConsolidated Communications. This is to the Atlanta CSGO server. 25 ping.Xfin_CSGOAtl_1.PNGComcast. Going to the same Atlanta server. Notice how it goes to "Dallas, tx" before going BACK to Marietta, GA. 50+ pingConCom_CSGOCal_1.PNGConsolidated Communications. CSGO LA server. Routed from Atl to LAXfin_CSGOCal_1.PNGComcast. CSGO LA server. Comcast wins out on this one, which is unsurprising considering it wants to route everything through here.ConCom_HiRez_1.PNGConsolidated Communications. Smite game server location for the US is near Georgia. This ping makes sense.Xfin_HiRez_1.PNGComcast. Server is in GA, but still takes a trip to "Dallas" before heading back to marietta. This basically doubles the ping. This translates to 100+ ping in game.ConCom_google_1.PNGConsolidated Communications. This is to google.com reasonable ping comparable to tracert to 8.8.8.8Xfin_google_1.PNGComcast. Double the ping of the DSL connection. It routes to "Dallas" again. Ping twice as high as 8.8.8.8 tracert.