Community Forum

High Amount of Corrected Errors on Downstream Channel

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

High Amount of Corrected Errors on Downstream Channel

Hello,

I recently checked my modem status and seen that there were a large amount of corrected errors on channel 33 with the "other" modulation in the table.  The were over 146,000,000 of them compared to the other channels which had none or less than a couple thousand.  I do subscribe to the Gigabit package through Comcast and purchased my own Arris SB8200 modem for the service.  My other concern was that this modem only had an uptime of "1 days 10h:57m:12s.00" since I last unlplugged the power and it's only a month old.  Below are my modem stats to see if I should call to have a tech check the line or if there is anything I can do on my side to help the issue.  

Thanks for any info.

ModemStats021118.png
ModemStats021118-2.png
Expert

Re: High Amount of Corrected Errors on Downstream Channel

That is normal for a DOCSIS 3.1 / OFDM channel. With the Gigabit speed tier, most of the data is being transported thru that channel, hence the large number of errors. But there is no need to sweat it as they are indeed "corrected" errors as opposed to being "uncorrected errors".

FWIW, the SNR is a bit low on that channel. And the downstream power overall is weak  / out of spec. The upstream power is also a bit high.

That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, speed and latency problems, and bit errors.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Admin1

Hi GigInternet -- The information provided by EG is excellent and helpful for your connection issue. We can help with getting an on-site tech scheduled for you if you find that you're still experiencing continue connectivity issues after trying these home remedies. Can you let us know if you'd like to get this setup please?

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the informative response  EG!  I live in an apartment and I only have one coax cable coming from the wall outlet to the modem.  I had also replaced that cable with another RG6 cable recently with no help in change.  I think a tech should come out as I'm not sure how to access any of the outside wiring and they would have better tools to diagnose it at this point.

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastZach wrote:

Hi GigInternet -- The information provided by EG is excellent and helpful for your connection issue. We can help with getting an on-site tech scheduled for you if you find that you're still experiencing continue connectivity issues after trying these home remedies. Can you let us know if you'd like to get this setup please?

Hi Comcast Zach,  I would definitely like to setup for a tech visit.  Please let me know how to proceed and if there is a time slot for anytime tomorrow Tue 2/20 than I'll take it.  If not Thur 2/22 will work as well.

Expert

@GigInternet wrote:

Thanks for the informative response  EG!  I live in an apartment and I only have one coax cable coming from the wall outlet to the modem.  I had also replaced that cable with another RG6 cable recently with no help in change.  I think a tech should come out as I'm not sure how to access any of the outside wiring and they would have better tools to diagnose it at this point.

Quite welcome ! Bear in mind that if the premises facing techs can not find or fix a problem at your home, it is they who are responsible for escalating it to their line / network / maintenance dept. techs. The problem may lie beyond your home in the local neighborhood infrastructure somewhere but it is their S.O.P. to start at the home. 

Good luck !

I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Admin1

GigInternet -- I will get that setup for you. Please send me a PM with your name, full service address, and either phone number or account number for authentication. I'll be able to get an on-site job setup with this information.

Click my name (ComcastZach) and click Private Message Me. 

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastZach wrote:

GigInternet -- I will get that setup for you. Please send me a PM with your name, full service address, and either phone number or account number for authentication. I'll be able to get an on-site job setup with this information.

Click my name (ComcastZach) and click Private Message Me. 

I was actually able to do a chat with a Comcast rep and they were able to set me up with an appointment.  Thanks again.

Admin1

GigInternet -- You're welcome. I'll check in with you afterwards to see if the tech was able to help.

Admin1

GigInternet -- Checking in to see if the tech was able to help. 

Frequent Visitor

Hi guys,

The tech came last week and he was able to determine that I did have a splitter, in a box that was in my apartment building.  He removed it and added an adapter in its place to make it one connection.  That slightly changed my levels so he went outside and checked the box and found that I was going through a couple more splitters and moved my line so I wasn't going through any.  That gave me the results I have now.  Do my levels seem to be in spec now? My only other concern was that I had some corrected/uncorrectables but haven't seen them move up by much recently.  If the corrected/uncorrectables become an issue, what can I do to help resolve that?  Attached are my current modem stats for review. Thanks.

ModemStats022618.png
ModemStats022618-2.png
Expert

Looking good ! The errors are quite low !!

Frequent Visitor

Glad to hear and the tech was a great help, in case the Comcast guys on here can give him great review points.